PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
My question to my fellow pipers. Do you enjoy the aftertaste after a bowl? Only specific blends, others not so much? I just finished a bowl of SG Skiff mixture, and although my wife would not agree, the aftertaste is quite pleasant.

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
I often enjoy the lingering sweetness of a VA or smokiness of a dark/burley long after the bowl is done. Not so much with aros.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Years ago I had some trouble with aftertastes with aromatics. I don't mean just after smoking, I mean a half day later and in unpleasant conflict with food flavors. It put me off pipe smoking somewhat. After some years off pipe smoking -- and that wasn't what caused the pause I don't think -- when I tried again with other aromatics and mostly non-aromatics, that residual flavor didn't return. If it did, I don't think I'd enjoy pipes.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
I do like the aftertaste of most pipe tobaccos very much. That said, it doesn't last long as my oral hygiene/risk avoidance regimen includes brushing my teeth and rinsing my mouth immediately after any pipe or cigar smoking.

CW

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Interesting question. I smoke whole leaf, mostly homegrown now, so no input on blends... but

I'm a pretty strictly burley smoker now, some bright leaf (virginia). I used to smoke homegrown havana, dark madole, Maryland, and a few other varieties. I came to not like them and switched to the burley. I still liked the flavor of them, but came to dislike the aftertaste.

BTW, homegrown Havana tastes different than whole leaf Havana seed imports. No fermenting in piles going on being the difference, I assume.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Soil content of where it's grown has a huge impact on how it tastes as well.
I know that's very true.

However, some years back i smoked various "habano" leaf from WLT from various countries and, as you say, there is a big difference between countries.

Whereas, I smoked "havana" (for about a year) from a grower in Kentucky which was hung to age for a couple years as it's only curing/fermentation. It was a completely different beast and tasted very similar to Havana i have grown myself and aged the same way. I will say I'm located only maybe 100 away from the Kentucky grower.

So, just being conversational here, but I think that the method of fermenting cigar tobacco "down south" is a big factor as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.