PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I rec'd a very nice Comoy's Grand Slam bulldog the other day, but it had a unique problem.
Because of the stinger apparatus, I could not remove the stem from the shank.

I checked with of my restoration buddies, tried freezing it, lubing it, etc. but all to no avail. The stem would come out a few millimeters, spin freely (so not "stuck" in the shank), but then hit an obstruction.

Grand Slams had a sized leather washer at the end of the stinger, and the size of the washer was stamped on the side of the pipe (not sure how many were available).
I think someone used an item other than the right sized leather washer, and not it is hopelessly stuck in the shank. A pity, that one deserved to have been restored and enjoyed for another generation or two.

Sadly, I returned it to the seller today.

Comoys_Grand-Slam.jpg

Comoys_Supreme_Patent.jpg

comoy1a.jpg

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
Good to know. Did you buy it locally or eBay? I have seen them on eBay claiming that they are original with the leather intact.

Also do you think that you maybe able to use compressed air to move the leather back into place or force it out?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Good to know. Did you buy it locally or eBay? I have seen them on eBay claiming that they are original with the leather intact.

Also do you think that you maybe able to use compressed air to move the leather back into place or force it out?
On Ebay. I didn't think of compressed air! But, once the stem was out a mm or to, it would not have been air tight. Back to the seller it went. I paid $80 for the pipe, and it wasn't worth gambling on any more man-handling to get stem out. The risk of breaking the shank was high.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Sure, nice that they took it back. Seems like it's something they should have noticed before they put it for sale.
Well, kind of fortunate on my end. It was listed as "no returns", but the seller graciously accepted it back without drama. Most non-pipe people would never pick that up and his ad said he knew nothing about pipes. A risk I took, with a fortunate outcome.

Reactions: SpookedPiper

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Hey Al, I went through the same thing about 3 years ago with a Grand Slam I got really cheap. It had two vertical cracks in the bowl so I wasn't worried about what would happen to it. Like you, the freezer only let the stem come part ways out. I half filled the bowl with alcohol and let it set overnight. It managed to loosen the stinger up enough to get it out. When I finished up with the restore, I decided not to use the stinger, and I believe I sent it to you. ? I still have the pipe and smoke it from time to time, but with the cost of yours I don't blame you for not wanting to mess with it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Good point, a bowl of alcohol was the first thing that I tried, no dice. If only someone along the life had ditched that stinger...

Status
Not open for further replies.