PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I recently bought an Emerson 565 which I'm pretty certain is a Comoy's second brand as it appears very, very similar to the Comoy's 565, and I do believe it's a Comoy's shape that was branded as an Emerson and stamped with a tobacconist's name as a promo piece or house pipe. (A big thank you to forum member jguss for his wealth of information!!!)

The Emerson has a stinger. I've never encountered a Comoy's with a stinger, but then again my experience with this marque is fairly limited and mostly with newer pipes. I understand that during a certain period stingers were all the rage and it got to to wondering if Comoy's pipes also had them for that period as well. Anybody have any information on this? Was it common for Comoy's and if so, any idea when it began/ended?

Just me being curious. Cheers!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Anything is possible in a 2nd line pipe. Of course Comoy's used a leather washer stinger in their Grand Slam pipes. Everyman and The Guildhall pipes used metal stingers. Nothing else on first line Comoys.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
You may encounter a little metal ring on the inside of the tenon or/and the shank. This was an early attempt at reinforcement in older Comoy's.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Interesting. Makes me wonder if they decided against it on the first line pipes for mechanics of smoking reasons, appearance or what.

Also wonder about removing it on my Emerson during restoration. Hmmm.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I’m going to have this one restored and might have the stinger removed - haven’t quite decided on that yet.

Looks like a nice pipe, just a little grubby. Grain is okay, nothing outstanding, but it has nice lines and the chamber and drilling looks fine.

Looking forward to seeing the result once it’s all cleaned up.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

piffyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2015
Interesting. Makes me wonder if they decided against it on the first line pipes for mechanics of smoking reasons, appearance or what.

Also wonder about removing it on my Emerson during restoration. Hmmm.
I have a number of Comoy-made pipes for private labels and several of them have stingers of various designs. Most of them are pressure fit and removable.

Reactions: dmcmtk

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
They are all press fit, and I can't imagine keeping them. Same for the threaded Grand Slam stingers. Perhaps back in the day, the goopy aromatic smoker might have kept then in place.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I like that answer. Not generally a fan of the things myself. Easy to remove might mean buh-bye.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Without much support, I assume stingers were essentially a gimmick to commend pipes to customers back when pipe sales was a big competitive industry and everyone was looking for an edge. Now that pipes are a more narrow market, I think few think of stingers as an edge at all. I've pulled 'em out of new pipes as recently as six years ago (approximately). I think the pipe was a BC and the stinger slid right out.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
If it is stubborn, soak the junction with some alcohol, via soak or a stem cleaner sopping, inserted. That usually frees them up enough to twist out.

oldmooner

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2011
Sherman, Texas
The responses here are a bit strange to me. As I said in another thread, I like Comoy pipes and have several, but I have never run into one with a stinger. In the U.S. the Kaywoodie made the stinger famous. They all had stingers of one type or another. I always remove the stinger from the old Kaywoodies (my trip down pipesmoking lane began with a Kaywoodie ) and they definitely drew better and had less gooey buildup. I would do the same to any Comoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.