Show Us Your Comoy's (Collectors Thread)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I'm a collector of vintage Comoys. Mainly the three-part C stem logo pipes from the pre-Cadogan take over, dating from the mid-70s on back to the teens: Old Bruyere, Royals, London Pride, Selected Straight Grains, Blue Ribands, Extraordinaire, Tradition, Grand Slam, are some of my favorites. Pipedia has several good entries on brand Comoy. Good estates of the "lesser" grades can be had for under a hundred, whereas the Blue Ribands, Extraordinaires, Selected Straight Grains, etc. are higher. Great smokers one and all. Finely cut vulcanite stems are a hallmark of Comoys, along with traditional English shapes. I have thirty or so, but show below only the centerpiece of my collection. Looking forward to seeing other member's Comoys.
Cased set of six unsmoked Comoy's Blue Ribands.

BlueRibandCasedSet-1.jpg

Comoy's BR #215 bent.

BlueRiband215-1.jpg

Comoy's BR #337 Prince.

BlueRiband337-1-1.jpg

Comoy's BR #495 pot.

BlueRiband495-1.jpg

Comoy's BR #410 volcano.

BlueRiband410-1.jpg

Comoy's BR #332 small billiard.

BlueRiband332-1.jpg

Comoy's BR #127 large billiard.

BlueRiband1275-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I love to see that BR set Kashmir, truly the set of a lifetime.
Just two on rack, but two of my five "holy grail" shapes.
499 Extraordinaire

498 Extraordinaire

Reactions: kashmir

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
And past Comoy's
215 Patiina

252 Old Bruyere

Comoys Deluxe w/Gold Band, one piece drilled C logo - early 80's? ($15 delivered via Ebay, w/box & bag...)

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I can't decide if I'm green with envy or lustful (of Kashmir's pipes). Absolutely beautiful!
The scotty dog pipe holder was a joke - my Westie has to be watched - she's not above sneaking a pipe off the table and running around with it in her mouth. I'm always so horrified, I never reach for the camera.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
LOL Al. I'm still searching for a Comoy's #499. And yours looks gorgeous. Perfect pair up with the #498. Holy Grail indeed. They were meant to go together. Would love to see both as a boxed set on green velvet. Enjoy.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Kashmir, that is one impressive collection of Comoy's, especially the cased set. I remember how excited you were when you got that, definitely the score of a lifetime.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Chispa, I think you got a reasonably good deal. I was watching that one. Pipe looks like it was topped, and no effort made to match the stain on the rest of the pipe. Stem has the one tooth mark. Seems to me both these issues can be dealt with. Shape 296 was my read on it. "Comoy estate pipe", not in the listing...Blue Riband.

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
I didn't catch that topping issue. What was the tip-off besides the stain? Should the bowl edge/top be beveled?
I saw the tooth mark but that doesn't really bother me much. Maybe the tooth dent can be raised?
Maybe if it was advertised as a Blue Riband it would have been bid up and would have been even more expensive. I guess I'll have to wait until it arrives to make a final judgement. Even with the issues it still looks better than any $120 Dunhill I've ever seen!!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Just the stain, or at least the most obvious thing, I'm not sure about a bevel, but I wouldn't obsess over it. As I said, I think both issues can be dealt with, I'd say a good deal, if the pipe were brought up to snuff, price could easily be half again as much, so, well done!

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
That's a really fine looking Comoy, chispa. A Blue Riband for $120 is a great buy too. Although shape #296, the oval shanked Canadian, is a particularly common shape among Comoys, yours is a fine looking example. Congrats and enjoy.