PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I picked up a Comoy Blue Riband off the Bay some time back that was beaten up to hell and gone. I'd always wanted a BR and knew that I'd never be able to afford one that was mint, NOS or being brokered by one of the more reputable estate resellers. I had to find one that was a dead man walking and then bring it back to life.
This is what an 85 buck bid can get you.
ComoysBefore_zps7ada5898.jpg

ComoysBefore2_zps3afd024b.jpg

Like I said, this burner was rough and had seen many better days. But, I still saw something in it that made me reach for my wallet.
Obviously, I smoke estates. I smoke pipes that were previously enjoyed by the dearly departed and that has given me some beautiful hunks of briar that I would never, ever think twice about buying new but were purchased for pennies on the dollar. Most I'll scrub and wale away on myself, but I realized early on that this reclamation was beyond me.
That decision brought me to our inhouse Dr. Grabow expert and talented bench man, ejames. Ed had already repaired one of my favorite DGs and I've admired his woodworking skills for quite some time. He looked over the pix I sent him, recommended a scope of work and I let him know that I couldn't wait for him to start.
Here's what I received in the mail today.
ComoyBR3_zpsf5d5f658.jpg

ComoyBR2_zpsfd8e5910.jpg

ComoyBR1_zps807498e6.jpg

Folks, I couldn't be happier.
This Comoy Blue Riband has issues. There are dents & dings, a new bit and Ed topped the rim uncovering a small crack in the bowl rim. It might last a week or it might last a hundred years. I'll take it one day at a time and enjoy each and every bowl I'm gifted.
Thank you, Ed.
Fnord

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
From what I can tell, the wood looks good. IMO, for $85 and the cost of a professional restoration, you can have a pretty swanky pipe!

What are your plans?

Aug 1, 2012
Wow, I see the beauty in that pipe. I think that'll clean up nicely. Do you plan to have a resto that brings the bowl back to level or are you going for a resto that leaves as much of the original pipe intact as possible?

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Damn it.
I was trying to use the Home Album for the pictures and couldn't get them to take. So, I went to Photobucket and did it the old fashioned way.
I just pushed a bowl of DH Nightcap though this burner and it was swell.
Fnord

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I saw that one as well, nicely done! That band/repair looked well done, so I bet she lasts another lifetime. A very nice way to get into a Blue Riband pipe.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Fnord: That is a beautiful restoration! It's like Ed brought back its history and beauty. I know you will enjoy that BR.
Thanks for sharing.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Jim,you are quite welcome! I hope you get many good smokes from that old Comoy!

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
That pipe looks like it died and went to Heaven. Then came back to Earth as an angel. (It has a halo in pic 2 and 3) :lol:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Incredible job restoring that pipe. It looks like a top of the line BR now, worth a bunch of money. I hope it smokes great for you for years to come. Congrats.

Dec 24, 2012
I am always awestruck when I see a Blue Riband. They are really gorgeous pipes. And since yours has a new bit, oxidation should be less of an issue for you then for others who have BR pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.