Come Now, It's Really the Proper Thing to Do...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Upload An Avatar!!! It is so simple, and really creates a better atmosphere. Having some image to relate to makes conversations much more personal, and I find I simply trust posters with avatars much more. I think many others would agree.
I tried to bump this one but it went away almost instantly...
I REALLY wanted to reopen this thread because I really support the OP by Kevin :)

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I can go either way... I place my trust more on what someone post's more than on their avatar... if someone is a big dummy, they're a big dummy regardless wether I know what they look like or not.
Besides sometimes an non pic avatar can be cooler... case in point DeLeon's avatar is by far my favorite... its actually very bad ass.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
sometimes I don't always have a photo of myself, other times I do...and sometimes I put photos of my son like my current avatar is...
I wish I can take a pic of my butt so you all can kiss my ass :rofl:

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I've tried posting 2 different avatars, following the directions above, no luck. The avatar appears on my homepage but not in my responses, if any suggestions or moderator knows why, I would like to know.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I like a little anonymity. It allows me to be more honest and upfront. Remember that even if you leave the forum, your posts will be found by Google searches, etc. for years and years.
We all make a fool of ourselves now and then, but with a forum, ones foolishness can last forever. Just sayin'. :puffy:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Here is an old form letter that I used to send. It will set you on the right track.
Welcome, here's a hint about Avatars
Welcome !
Pipesmagazine.com is growing so fast that the Avatar Generator is running out of Avatars for new members. We are working to alleviate this minor issue. Most New Members will generally upload their own Avatar at their earliest convenience. I wish to help out if I can.
It is a simple process to upload an Avatar here. I must first inform you that there are two places to do so, because there is a magazine section, and a Forum Section. While not separate entities they are independent of each other. Nothing says that it has to be the same in both places. But, if someone decides to send a PM or look at your "Album", it could cause some very minor and inconsequential confusion.
The first place is on the PipesMagazine section. Since you have opened this Personal Message you are in your Magazine side Profile. Just click on the words "Change Avatar" and it will take you to the Avatar upload area and just follow the instructions there. Very easy.
The second is to be found on the Forum Page. Please read the strings at the top of the page that asks you to do so... These are the Forum Rules. Then if you are so inclined please post something in the New Member Introduce Yourself string. After you post there or you have commented in or started a string you will now be able to set your Forum Avatar.
For the Forum Avatar, as mentioned above you must have at least one post to upload your Avatar.

On that post (once submitted) simply click on your Screen Name just below the Avatar Place Holder.

This will take you to your other Profile Page. In the upper right hand corner of that page there are a couple of links just click on Avatar and proceed to upload your Avatar.
It is worth noting that in the Edit portion of your Forum Profile you can adjust what is there and you can create a "Signature" These are usually very small photos, or Emoticons, some members have sayings, quotes, or links to their Pipe Album. (Remember it is not permissible to post links to your own website, business, or blog in your signature.)
We are very glad to have you aboard and I personally look forward to reading your questions, comments, and seeing your pictures.
Welcome my friend,

Lawrence (Moderator)
PS: Please feel free to send me a PM if you are having difficulty with anything on the site. It will be my pleasure to assist with any issues that may arise. Last thing, (I promise) there are two ways to PM a member. One is in your Magazine side Profile page. This one will post a notification at the top of the page. (You’ve seen it obviously because you are reading this) The other is in the Forum. It is located in the right hand column near the top of the Main Forum Page.

If you want to send or receive a PM just click on the "You have "X" New Messages" located there.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Yeah I like the people avatars but I also respect guys like flyfishn who doesn't want to see his mug every time he posts. I like the flys and it reminds me of that last string of photos he put up from his 9 to 5 job up north.
I've always liked numbersix's classy avatars.
I see some of you guys changing avatars once in a while and I think thats cool too. I just seem to like my original witch I took during a break on a hiking trip with my son. Maybe someday I'll change it but I feel the avatar is a trademark not something to meddle with at every drop of the hat.
Now Kevin's new one is killer He's probably having to fight off the ladies with that one.

sinister

Might Stick Around
Oct 3, 2012
Central FL
Never really been into having an avatar be a pic of myself for various reasons on any forum I am on. Rather, I choose something that best represents me. I like vehicles, I own a rare turbocharged truck, so a turbo it is at the current moment until I find something better :)

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I do think that a picture of anything is generally good but I can understand why some don't want their face on a pipe forum. For instance if you are a teacher it is possible to get it trouble for the association with smoking a pipe. Just the way life is today.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
I thought it was Indiana Jones in that top avatar!!!!
It is.....
I don't want to have to look at myself......
That's cool. I'm trying to get people to have ANY Avatar, their own face or some design, whatever is fine by me, just don't like the blank blue/grey outline auto avatar nothingness thing.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Any picture I have of me, I either look mean, nuts, or both so I just roll with it. I yam what I yam.
If other members don't want to post a picture of themselves I can understand that, but avatars like flyfishn and numbersix's are much better to look at than the generic avatars. As long as it's personalized, I think it's all good.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
I;m not posting an avatar. Sorry.

you rebel...... :rofl:
I think those who choose not to use an avatar photo should at least have the option to change the pipe silhouette shape and the color of their question mark plastered on the face. At least that would set them apart.
Tho I do respect their option to post nothing at all. I devote my next bowl to the freedom of avatar expression.

smoker49

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2012
I haven't posted an avatar of me smoking a pipe yet, because I am growing an awesome winter beard. It's not ready for me to debut it yet, so until then, the dog stays.

Status
Not open for further replies.