PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
Google+ is the new Facebook. It's better, simpler and is integrated with other Google services such as Picasa, YouTube and Gmail. Put plain and simple: it's (gonna be) awesome.
I realise many of you shun social media, but I know there are plenty of you that are already on Facebook and similar services and I really think you should check Google+ out. :)
Right now it's closed for registration unless you know someone already inside - luckily for any of you that are interested in the service, I'm inside and can help you get in. I need your e-mail though, so if you're interested just throw me a PM with it and I'll send you an e-mail that you can use to get in.
Hopefully we can all become a great big circle (what groups of friends are called in G+) of pipe smokers so I have someone who can appreciate the picture I just uploaded of my new Stanwell POY 2010 ;)
http://plus.google.com

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
Kevin: I was - like 5 years ago xD
marmal4de: I never got an invite from Google at all, I was added by a friend the way I'm adding some of you now :) Hopefully they aren't throttling it too hard :D

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
Another round of mails sent!

A friend I invited that couldn't get in about an hour ago just got in, so they're throttling the intake slightly but you should be able to get in, if not immediately then pretty soon :)

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
Some of you have already gotten in, so I guess it's time to share how to invite your friends (it is supposed to be social, right?).
All you have to do is go to your circles and add anyone you want to invite to one of them. Next you go back home/to the stream and share a new message. Make sure to share it with the circle you added the people you want to invite and a checkbox will appear that says "Also email X people not yet using Google+". Tick it and share! They will now recieve an e-mail from you, and the rest you know! :)

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I was joking. I was actually quoting a line from the movie Super Bad. It was kind of generic though.
I find it quite ironic that the news on Google+ comes out the same day that MySpace was sold. News Corporation bought it six years ago for $580 million and sold it for $35 million. They need to get Tom back.
I have a lot of respect and enthusiasm for Google, but I also remember Google Buzz, Orkut, and Google Wave.
They should just buy Facebook, and then they will rule the world.

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
Buzz was a total failure, Orkut I've never used, and Google Wave was actually really good at what it was, but it wasn't at all Facebook competitor and didn't take off. Google+ is good. It's Facebook done Google-style (i.e. without privacy/ownership issues (you can remove/download everything very easily) and integration with other great services that most already use (someone commented that the pictures from his blog (on blogspot) was already in an album (private) in G+, and 'tis true). :)

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Ok, if there's room for one more, I'm game.
email.gif

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
Kevin: I sent a message, in case someone else hasn't already :)
marm4lade: I know, right? The best part is that you get them in all other Google services like Gmail and can read the whole threads and stuff right there xO (perfect for work since I use Gmail there ;))

forsooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Anyone have any issues with Google, vis-a-vis privacy, alleged gov't. connections, international involvements, etc.? BTW, Justin Timberlake was one of the chief Myspace buyers...That means it is headed for a major comeback, right? :D (Actually, I don't know if I have ever heard a JT song & couldn't pick him out of a vocal lineup.)

stacen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2011
If you would be so kind sir could you send me an invite? please use --- my user name (the one i use on here) at g mail dawt com

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
forsooth: Cloud services dealing with sensitive data is always a concern, but in the case of Google I believe they do everything they can to fight for users privacy (based on them disclosing as much information as they can about government requests for information and what they did etc.) and in the case of G+ I'm not particularly concerned at all at the moment:
"If you delete Google+, Google attempts to restore your experience of other Google products to the way it was before you joined Google+ and to permanently delete your Google+ circles, posts, and comments. If you delete your Google profile, you delete Google+ as well as other services and their data that depend on a Google profile"

You can also download all your pictures and everything like that in nice archives before you delete it all. Compare that to Facebook. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.