PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Does anybody have a collection of pipes based on where they were made?

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I don't but earlier on I dabbled in building Danish and NAC collections. You can build a collection anyway that makes you happy and fits your budget. Other collection themes can be focused on brand/maker, shape, size and finish. 8O

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I enjoy French made pipes. They tend to be smaller in scale and are usually made with great care using quality materials. Some of my favorite manufactures are Chacom and Sebastian Beo.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My pipes weren't bought to include different nations, but they do. I have U.S., England, Ireland, Denmark, Italy,

France, The Netherlands, and Greece. What am I forgetting? I wouldn't buy a pipe just to add a nation.

I have to want the pipe for itself, and if it adds another nation, that's a plus. To get good pipes from

Israel, Czech., Poland, etc., requires pricing up, and there are other pipes I want before those. I don't

buy Meerschaums because that would open a whole new PAD (groan). So no Turkish pipes.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
I don't, but I am tempted, sometimes, to pick up a new pipe (new to me, usually an estate) because I don't have a pipe from that particular country. Tempted may not be the right word. The truth would be that I would justify a new pipe because I don't have one from that country. For example, I don't have an Irish pipe, so one of these days I will stumble on a Pete at the right price and, of course, I'll need to get it because I don't have an Irish pipe, etc. Come to think of it, I have no French pipes, either. So, clearly, I need one of those. Nice the way that works out.

bwithers55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 17, 2012
Most of my smokers are English. Many are simply stamped, Made in England.
Many of my better smokers are simply stamped, Italy.
Best Wishes,

Bill Withers

Aug 14, 2012
Since most of my pipes are Dunhills, I guess I collect English pipes, but I have some from several countries. Denmark, Italy, Turkey, USA are the best represented.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Yes, kinda. I have some different sections as follows... "American Masters" and "European Masters" (both mostly Artisans) and under European I have subcategories, England, Italy, Denmark, and Ukraine so far, more to come. Then I have a central section I have labeled "The Greats" which presently has Dunill, Savinelli, Sasieni, and Erik Nording (want to add Peterson and Barling to this). Not that it's pertinent, but then I have a section I label "Historical" which are very old and mostly unsmokable pipes that are just cool to look at. And a final section I label "Macrabre" which has one each briar, meerschaum, and clay of that "genres".

owen

May 28, 2014
@Monty 55

I like the idea of the greats very much. simply must own pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.