PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cerfer

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2017
22 and snowing (very lightly, almost negligent) in MI tonight. Seeing pics of snow in Austin today was something else.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
We had a surprise around 7:30 this evening.
snow-600x337.jpg

Wife's car
In my 19 years in Austin, Texas, this is maybe the 5th time I've seen snow. At almost half an inch, it's also the greatest accumulation. :lol:
I remember shoveling feet of the stuff, growing up in Baltimore and I don't miss it. By noon tomorrow, I'll have the bike back out of the garage, so I can put up until then.
I hope everyone is warm and comfy!
jay-roger.jpg

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
We had about 2 inches on Barn roof, Truck and Car was covered in Snow. On old Covered porch in back, exposure is Southerly, I have a large Stainless Steel server with sink, wife is putting a heating pad on low in sink for the little kittens, I have a large marble cutting board that I pulled over sink and they are 3/4 covered, my own Cat House.. :rofl:

grilledokra

Lurker
Oct 27, 2016
It’s a rare and kind of weird juxtaposition, but it snowed here on the beach today along the Gulf Coast. I hear even New Orleans got some snow, which is even more unusual.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
On Christmas in 1987, Jacksonville FL got 1/2" of snow and it brought the city to it's knees for three days.
The entire city is connected by countless bridges. All the roads had a layer of ice under the snow. There is no equipment to handle the problem. There was exactly 27 people in the city that knew how to drive in snow. They had the wisdom to stay home.
Yesterday, I saw a Canadian goose standing on the pond in front of the building I work in.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Jacksonville FL got 1/2" of snow and it brought the city to it's knees for three days.
We find it kind of entertaining to watch the news showing drivers in the south attempt to drive in snow :oops:

Up here a foot of snow just slows traffic, very few stay home besides Govt. and school employees. Once while in Florida a waitress told us to be careful driving because it had rained and might be slippery, but as an afterthought said " Oh yeah, you're from Canada, never mind " :rofl:

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Yeah snow in the south is quite unusual, but here in central Mississippi we get it once in a while, although it never really accumulates. One exception was Feb. 2015 when we got more snow in 24 hrs. than all the previous 15 years combined. It stayed for a couple of days, but took down so many pine trees that the power was out for over a day.
My wife took this pic of me in front of our house.

img_0820-450x600.jpg

Later after the snow finally quit.

img_08321-481x600.jpg

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Family and friends saw snow from Houston through the Gulport/Biloxi, Ms area yesterday. We drove to Gulfport believing the forecast that we wouldn't see any more snow fall until 5 or 6 pm and wound up driving back through the snow flurries around 1 pm. Maybe not as heavy as you guys up north are used to, but it didn't take long for it to start sticking on the ground or to build up about a half inch of slush on the interstate in some areas. On the drive back, we passed three small cars that had slide down the side of the interstate and a 3 car accident on one of the high bridges. The accident was probably caused by the driver of a small car not knowing that slamming on your brakes while doing 70 mph in snow and ice results in you sliding and not stopping. When even the 18-wheelers are doing 55 mph and no one is passing them, you know road conditions are bad.
On the bright side, we made it home and I sat in the garage smoking some We Three Kings and drinking coffee.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My SIL has a bread/snacks route and uses a truck and 20' trailer. He said I-12 was very slippery. He's 28 but had never driven in snow. He saw so many wrecks in the morning, he came back via side roads to keep clear of the interstate. He slid once, I told him he was lucky not to jack-knife is trailer.

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
Meanwhile, here in Edmonton, we're having a very mild winter so far. Most days the high temp reaches 4-8 degrees Celsius. Very unusual, but welcome.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cold weather makes some blends taste better, it seems. Just the right weather for Semois and Peretti #52, which are pretty good even in the heat. Cosmic, relatives visiting from Missouri came east in a Ford Fusion; it was a few years old and looked new. Nice cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.