PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
So, I have opened this can of Dunhill Elizabetan mixture, and I grab by mistake a cob that I only smoke aromatics in. I only figured it out by the time i packed the bowl, so I guess I was too lazy to empty it and pick another pipe ... cobs don't ghost anyway, right? Now, this is the first time I try this blend, which is quite rich in virginia and has some perique in it too. So i light the bowl, and I get this very very sweet taste, not quite aromatic but close. Could it really be the blend? (very good smoke by the way, just a little unforgiving on the tongue, but I am guessing that's the virginia). Have any of you guys tried this blend? Or could I have done something wrong with my cob while smoking aros, that mine is special and ghosts? (the cob is MM). I will try the blend again tomorrow in my virginia smoking briar, but I figured I should also ask here ...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Even stainless steel pipes can ghost!
To some extent, how quickly/deeply it ghosts depends on how the chamber is cleaned, how hot smoked, etc. Importantly, how sensitive the smoker is to tastes of "foreign" leaf.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Apparently so ... I might just had the wrong idea all this time. I do tend to keep my pipes segregated, and dedicate them to certain tobaccos ... thus my experience with ghosting is limited.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I too have heard that cobs don't ghost. I have also heard that meeershaums don't ghost. But perhaps they do. Isn't ghosting a characteristic of cake rather than bowl material? I have had some estate briars with old cake that tasted pretty foul until I reamed the cake and cleaned the shank with alcohol. Also have Virginia that tasted pretty sweet, non-aro.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I have cobs specifically dedicated to Lakeland blends (which I love), but they are ghosted all to hell and gone. Everything I smoke in those tastes like Lakelands, but that's what they are for right?

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Any pipe can ghost especially depending on the tobacco you smoke in said pipe. I've never had an issue with my cobs ghosting, but I also don't smoke Lakeland blends, or heavily chased aromatics that are more likely to ghost. I typically smoke English or Virginia's with the occasional aromatic.

Reactions: The Todd

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
All pipes will ghost, most don't experience it with a cob cuz most don't build a cake on cobs, just my experience

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I think people more mean, "Cobs let go of a ghost a lot better than most other pipes". A good sun bathing will do wonders to de-ghost a cob, but it won't touch a ghost in a briar.
EDIT: And also +1 on what Pagan said. Cake is where a lot of ghostiness and ashiness lives.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I thought it was use a cob tp try a blend because of it dpes ghost and you don't like the blend you didn't ruin a expensive pipe. I ghosted a cob pretty good with enerdale.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I thought like username, that you used cobs for aromatic Lakeland blends so you wouldn't ghost other pipes. It costs less to designate a pipe. That always sounded reasonable to me, though I am not into aros enough to smoke Lakeland aros. I'd never heard that cobs don't ghost. Other ghosting, like Latakia, isn't an issue with me. A little stray Lat flavor is a bonus, and it fades.

Status
Not open for further replies.