PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
I started smoking pipes in ~ 2004 or so. I've always read how good cob pipes are, and how many use them for Aros, other tobaccos that ghost or just for sampling new tobaccos. Also, many have said they're good for travelling so if one gets broken, better a $5 or $10 cob than a good brand name pipe. In addition, people always speak of how dry and cool they smoke.
So, about 6 weeks ago I received an order from 4Noggins that contained my first cob, an MM Country Gentlemen. I've since received another one and these 2 are by far, the most used pipes in my collection of ~ 30 pipes. Here's a few reasons why.
I don't know why or how, but it's very true how dry and cool they smoke. It's not that I didn't believe the fact, it's just that I thought these claims were exaggerated. How could a $5 cob smoke as good as, or better, than a Pete or a System Sav? But I found out it's true, and if anything, more so than the claims.
Now, my question is; Are these smoking traits attributable to the open draw of a cob? I've been thinking that none of my pipes have comparable draw characteristics to a cob, or at least, the ones I have. But the ones I have that could be considered open, like a Pete Bulldog, an IMP meer, or a big Tinsky slightly bent Dublin, are definately my better smokers of non-cob manufacture.
Something I learned from cobs, but not quite sure why I did learn it from those, is to pack lighter, much lighter. When I started smoking a pipe, after years of cigars, I tied to pack a pipe to mimic draw force required on a cigar and we should all know that is wrong. Nothing but hot, wet, bitter smokes. I think back now and wonder why I even kept at it. Gradually I did learn to pack a bit looser, but was obviously (to me now) still too tight. I'm not sure why the light went on when I first smoked a bowl in a cob, but it did. The first bowl in a cob was a tobacco I'm well familiar with, BCF and I got flavours from that smoke I've now become used to, even in briars, but had never experienced before.
So needless to say I see a few more cobs in my future and I may even attempt to open the airways of some of my pipes, if that is indeed the case.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
My MM Washington is my most frequently smoked nowadays. Got it in a grab bag of seconds. Not bad for a $4 pipe! And I still haven't smoked the other nine...

dalamar

Lurker
Oct 24, 2015
Myself, I smoke a cob more than anything as I tend to have 5+ bowls a day. However I do smoke at least one a day out of one of my briars. I enjoy the contrast between the two when smoking the same tobacco.

michaelmirza

Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
I've heard all the same things you have about cobs but I have yet to buy one simply because I don't care for how they look. Still, with the price and the perks, I know I need to join the party. As for the dryness of the smoke, I've wondered if the cob perhaps "breathes" better than briar. Not so much so that cobs aren't proper combustion chambers, but because of being made of less dense and more porous material than wood. It's just a theory; nothing I've tested or researched.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If you want a really dry smoke from a cob, get one of the unfinished ones, or track down one of MM's limited edition reverse calabashes. I have one of those, and it almost gets smoked more than my artisan pipes.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have four cobs in my rotation and they are all Legends. three are slightly bent stems and the fourth is a straight. I also have three of the Cobbits pipes but those are destined to be stuffed into stockings at Christmas for me and our two sons.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
+1 on my cobs. CG, Diplomat and Legend and Great Dane Spindle are my favorites.

Congrats and welcome to the world of cobs! :clap:

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
for some reason cobs tend to agree with the way I smoke. recently started smoking my country gentleman and been enjoying pipe smoking a whole lot more!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A natural MM freehand is a great pipe, with a good deep bowl and very light weight. You can't beat it for Semois and other burley leaf, and other blends. I also like the Forever acrylic stems, since the stems on many MM cobs are fairly soft and can get chewed up. I also like Old Dominion cob pipes with reed stems, the most authentic of cob pipes and though somewhat smaller than MM's, fine pipes for flake/plug/rope tobacco which tends to burn longer.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I don't smoke my cobs very often and I really don't like the stems but otherwise they smoke very well.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Cobs are a great way to increase your rotation and give your purses, I mean briars a.rest.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
I have a Country Gentleman, a Patriot, and a Mark Twain, and I love the smoking experience with these three as well or better than any of the briars I have. They get smoked the most.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Nice collection you have there Hak. I see I'm not the only one that uses the rubber bits.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Ya Fitzy. I think they are perfect for cobs. Cobs are ment.to be clenched. Light weight, not too worried if ya drop it, unlike briar smokers, obviously not too worried if it doesn't match your dress(lol), and the rubber bit just makes all of it easier.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Dang! Forgot to edit my photo. Diplomats, Legends and Country Gentleman are my favorite shapes for cobs.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I love these threads! :mrgreen:
Cobs are fantastic smokers ... The open draw, heat and moisture dispersal, light weight and durability are excellent. :puffy:
Here's a few of mine in current rotation:
img_20150605_103625-600x337.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.