PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Hey guys, as per an older thread, I have been playing around with cobs recently and started to enjoy them more and more. I have one tiny issue with them though: non of the MM cobs that I can find in my area have acrylic stems. They all come with a cheap looking yellowish plastic stem, that looks even cheaper once you smoke it a while and you clench your teeth on it. So my question is, is there a place that ships to Europe, where I can buy acrylic stems online that fit your classic MM cobs?

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
The stock stem is what make em inexpensive and disposable, Ive had 3 cobs for over 15 years and just buy replacements by the bag, you may want a Forever Stem, try this
http://oldlogcabinpipeworks.com/

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I buy acrylic (and ebonite) stems off Ebay. I use the PIMO stem tool to turn the tenon down to the correct diameter.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Looks like PIMO and Vermont Freehand merged.
http://vermontfreehand.com/product/adjustable-tenon-turning-tool/

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Hmmm pagan it's an interesint website, although from an economical stand point it doesn't make much sense. Three stems + $13.50 international shipping is the equivalent of ten new cobs in the local store :)))) I might do it though, because I am a sucker for pipes, and tend to get emotionally attached to them no matter how expensive or cheap. Thanks for the tip!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
If you want to stay true to the look of a cob-smoking shoeless hillbilly, check out the Old Dominion line. The tubular reed stems are not only authentic to the genre, but almost unbreakable. The only downside is, being tubular they aren't as comfortable to clench, and tend to rotate bowl-down or even fall out of your mouth. MM's are a hybrid design, and the stems have always been cheap crap, but if you don't chomp on them you can make them last forever. Paying twice the cost of the pipe for an aftermarket stem is a form of insanity I won't embrace, but YMMV as they say.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Where in Europe are you located maddox07? I just received three acrylic stems for corn cobs from an Italian Ebay seller called "fatmompipes". Very decend fellows as it seems and the stems are great.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I just bought the MM Dagner Poker. It's nice, better stem, larger bowl than most MMs, but a bit pricey for a MM cob.

There's a guy selling new MM cobs on Ebay that he refinishes and fits better stems on for not much more money than a standard MM.

I've had an Old Dominion, it is a cool design and nice idea, nice bowl, but the stem falls out and needs to be glued in, and after chomping on the little round reed stem I wear out the tip and it needs to be cut down. Still a nice reproduction pipe, but not as user friendly as a MM.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Does Missouri Meerschaum ship out of the U.S.? On the Customer Care page of their website, they say, "We ship all orders, including PO boxes and outside the US, via the US Postal Service," but I can't find anything that says where they will ship to. If they ship to Europe, MM have both black and amber Danish replacement stems, which seem to me to be somewhat more durable than the standard stems. The shipping may be pricey, but the stems themselves are very inexpensive (about $0.50 each). For bent cobs, you can buy the bent vulcanite stem they stick on their Freehands. Just a couple options offered by the source ... :puffy:
EDIT: The Danish and Freehand stems will fit all of MM's filtered pipes, though the Freehand stem itself will not support the use of a filter.
EDIT 2: Ooooh ... 500th post! :P

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
stvalentine I am located in Romania. Thanks for the tip, I will try the italian vendor. I have purchased stuff from Italian ebay stores, and they do ship over here.
ophiuchus not sure ... I mean, even if they do, I presume that shipping costs would exceed the product price. Unless I get a life time supply of stems, so that shipping is worth while, I guess buying straight from the US is not economically feasible either. The local stores do import MM cobs, but they only bring them in the plastic stem versions. You gave me an idea though, perhaps I should call the hq of the tobacco shop chain and ask if they can bring me a vulcanite or acrylic stem, for a little extra money. :puffpipe:

whitesands77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2016
Denver USA
This is a pretty good site. They have a pretty big selection of stems.
http://aristocob.com/Accessories-C355893.aspx?sid=15455

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Dagner pipe mentioned in an earlier post has an acrylic stem, and I think Missouri Meerschaum itself may fit some of its larger "freehand" pipes with acrylic stems. For a quick fix on the plastic yellow or black plastic stems on MM cobs, softie bits will keep you from chewing through, although you do have to keep stem and softie clean. An acrylic stem makes an MM cob cost about $25, but it's easily worth it, since the pipes last years, and the stem can be re-used on a different cob pipe later if wanted. Part of what makes MM cobs such a good deal is that, with a proper stem, they can last for years, decades, which makes them a really incredibly good deal.

Reactions: Papamique

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
The Dagner MM is really nice, mostly due to the full size acrylic stem. It's wider (as is the diameter of the shank) with a larger more comfortable button. It makes a difference. It also has a larger bowl than most cobs. Even though it's a small stuby pipe, it's got more heft than most cobs, due to its large bowl, shank, and stem. MM did a good job with this pipe.

stvalentine

Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
The Dagner MM is really nice, mostly due to the full size acrylic stem.
That sounds real good. I was wondering what material they have used for it. The cobs cleared customs today and my wife is going to pick them up tomorrow. Can´t wait.... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.