PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Watched a PBS documentary last night (Sept. 3, 2019) on the Mine Workers Union battle in Southern West Virginia at the turn of the last century, after World War I. Many pipe smoking miners were pictured, and no mine operators or owners that I spotted. Many different shapes of pipes, from big-bowled bent to snappy straight Dublins. How miners navigated with a pipe, how they put them out and emptied ash without wasting tobacco, wasn't discussed. The flammable gasses, methane etc., probably prohibited smoking much underground, but they definitely lit up the pipes once in the daylight. Neither cigars nor cigarettes appeared in this scenario. Among the striking characters depicted was Mother Jones, an Irish immigrant union activists who, in her sixties, waded into the most volatile and potentially violent situations, and even tried to bluff miners out of getting into a violent battle, really at the level of war, with hired guards and various mercenaries of the mine owners. We're talking machine gun nests. The worst was averted, but barely, and with many deaths and casualties.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
anotherbob, that makes some sense. Chaw would have gotten on miner's boots and clothes, and even other miners didn't want to piss off their co-workers. Snuff delivered the nic without additional mess. Smoking, of course, could have ignited explosives and other flammables. Those guys had and have huge pride, despite not riding high in the social pecking order, and deservedly so, for strength, quick wittedness, stamina, and bravery.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
If I'm not mistaken, rope tobaccos were originally used by miners so they could either smoke or chew it. Pretty handy as I do the same when hunting.

downsouth

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2019
I don't know where you all are getting your info from (PBS? Really?). Half my ancestry were miners, the other half in dairy/steers (I'm in horses, of course, only one in the family that was), never heard any of this. Pipe smoking was common for sure because it was cheap, and try rolling a cigarette when you're wet. Never heard of snuff used (at least in my family); chaw was common among those that didn't smoke (and even some that did); the coal dust would get so bad that it helped keep their mouths wet so they could spit. And never heard of them using rope tobacco while mining; they used to twist up whole leaves and chew on them, but that wasn't really rope as we know it.

Reactions: jpberg

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I don't know where you all are getting your info from
I think I read the rope tobacco thing on some Gawith and Hoggarth description somewhere. God only knows if it's reliable, but they referenced the ropes/twists being preferred by UK miners because of the chewing/smoking option.

Status
Not open for further replies.