PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
What tobacco that is available in the States is closest to the St. Bruno flake that was/is so popular?

I have wanted to try this tobacco ever since I took up pipe smoking. It was my Dad's go-to smoke in the 70's/80's, and he was smoking in the States, in Philadelphia to be exact. My understanding is that currently it is not available here--I do not see it on any of the on-line tobacco shops--although it is still in production in Europe?

Also, has anyone living in the States been able to acquire St. Bruno some how?

Thank you

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
It's not available in the US but you can get it shipped from online shops in the UK; however, I think the shipping chargers make it cost prohibitive.
I had a friend of mine get me some Condor and St. Bruno's on his last trip to London. He was only able to find the ready rubbed, not the flake.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
PM me your address and if I have some in the cellar I'll send you some. I have to check my mason jars.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
There's nothing even close here in the States. You have to pay the considerable freight from MrSnuff or Pipe Divan to order some-- or simply rely on the kindness of others.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
PM me your address and if I have some in the cellar I'll send you some. I have to check my mason jars.
clickklick,

PM sent! Thank you so much!

Cheers,

Cliff

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just for fun, what are the constituent tobaccos in St. Bruno flake? Is it a Va/Per? I guess

I want to know what I'm missing.

K

klause

If I remember correctly misterlowercase did some fairly comprehensive research into St Bruno and its constitution, not mention its history - no doubt it would be well worth a look-see.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
clickklick hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned. The first time I tried Mac Baren Old Dark Fired I checked to make sure I had not accidentally loaded up a bowl of Bruno.
To make your own St. Bruno Flake; get some Esoterica Stonehaven and some Gawith & Hoggarth Rum Flake. Break the flakes up and mix them with 60% Stonehaven and 40% Rum Flake. Once you've thoroughly mixed the two tobaccos, get a large sheet of aluminum foil and place the mixture in the center. Fold the aluminum foil tightly around the tobacco and continue to pressure squeeze the foil with your hands until you can't get the contents any tighter. Place in a Mason Jar for about two weeks. You'll probably need a knife or scissors to open up the tightly sealed foil. When you do so, you will have a delicious and stout blend that will remind you of St. Bruno Flake right down to the smell and flavor.
Pipestud

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Irish flake is stouter, but is similar especially if both are well aged.

Status
Not open for further replies.