PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I bought a couple of the mini Clippers recently as I thought they would do the job of lighter and tamper all in one. This was working out perfectly until tonight when my Clipper started flame-throwing as I tilted it to my pipe.
I know the flame is supposed to increase when tilted, but it's really quite violent and impossible to use when it does this.
Anyone else experienced this or do I have a dud? (the other one is behaving... for now, but so was this one for the few few days.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Is it butane? I know my butane zippo insert has a tendency to do that when it's low on fuel. It's when too much air is mixed with the fuel I think. Mine, when low, could scorch your eyebrows.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Your lighter may have been overfilled at the factory. This flame-throwing occurred with one of my full sized Clippers when I overfilled it; they are refillable.

Invert the lighter & vent the fill valve on the bottom of the lighter, a little at a time, until the flame-overs cease. If this does not fix the problem, you may have a defective lighter.
I find their 2-stage flame intensity useful to light pipes in the wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.