PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernieheimte

Lurker
Jan 30, 2017
I am new to pipe smoking, I love being outdoors fishing and hunting, and I'm looking for a pipe that I can enjoy hands-free. I have tried an Oom Paul style pipe, but this particular pipe I did not enjoy clenching. Not sure about how to find a pipe that clenches well for me. I don't want to keep buying pipes only to find out that they don't clench well, and then the money seems wasted. Can you help me with some ideas? It seems I cannot find out if I like the pipe without trying it and also, consequently, buying it. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Dec 28, 2015
For clenching and hunting and fishing I would recommend a MM Mark Twain bent. I also have a mimmo provenzano poker that fits the bill but for the money I would recommend the cob.

Jan 8, 2013
Pay attention to weights. I don't clench often, but I have a bent Hilson that clenches wonderfully for me when I so choose. It weighs just a hair over 1.5 oz. On the other side, I have a harder time clenching a large bent Nording for a long period of time. The Nording weighs 2.6 oz. I can clench it, but my teeth and jaw gets tired much sooner. Now I also have a straight Moonshine Deviled Egg (Think of it as a chubby Devil Anse shape pipe with an egg shaped bowl) that weighs 1.7 oz. Barely heavier than the Hilson, but much lighter than the Nording. However, the Nording is much easier to clench than the Moonshine which is quite difficult for me to clench. Basically I've found bents are just all around easier to clench than straights. But a lighter weight bent is definitely the way to go.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I only like straight pipes under roughly 45 grams. A Dagner Poker Cob is a great low price clenched.
Anthony, I had a moonshine pipe just like yours....terrible clencher because the pipe is so front heavy. I have many short cleaners that are perfect....all straights.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I have not been a pipe smoker long enough to go through a fishing season yet, but I've been practicing.
Gotta agree with the rest though...small, bent, light and, if you're as much of a klutz as i am...cheap
Translation....cob pipe :)

Jan 8, 2013
Anthony, I had a moonshine pipe just like yours....terrible clencher because the pipe is so front heavy. I have many short cleaners that are perfect....all straights.
I have two of those Moonshines deviled eggs and I love the heck out of them because they smoke like a dream. I just can't clench em (which is fine) because like you said they're front heavy. But I don't clench any of my straight or straighter pipes very well. Even my cobs. Even a cob with a softy bit! 8O haha!
Edit to add: Where's Bradley when we need him. I think he could clench a Volkswagen! 8O

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Don't fully bite down. Hang the bit on your lower teeth, and balance with the upper teeth. Saves your stem and doesn't wear out your jaw.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'd add a couple things: it's easier to clench when the pipe is at the corner of your mouth. If you have a thin bit, clench a tad further up the stem. Bite pressure and weight of the pipe are the keys. Canadians tend to be good clenchers as long as the bowl is not too big.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
167 grams, Raised 3 teenagers that where I learned to Clench. Big Buttons are a must.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Oom Pauls are great jaw hangers for me, & are my activity pipes.

Followed by smaller MM cobs - my latest are the MM Little Devil Acorn & MM The Stubby.

I'm hoping to find an Oom Paul cob, or try to make one for myself.
Can't beat a cob for outdoor activities - no weeping & gnashing of teeth if it is lost, damaged, or burns-out.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I smoke straight pipes that weigh around an ounce, give or take a few tenths of a ounce.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I find Falcon pipes to be good clenchers, especially the bent type. Throw a couple of bowls in your pocket and your good to go for any outdoor activities. The Falcon dental stems are suited for clenching.

I smoke a broad range of pipes (that are bulldogs or dublins, straight or bent), and clench them all. I'm not even sure what a bad clencher would be, maybe a crowbar? Build up those jaw muscles, chew some leather for a while... do you find yourself just standing around with your mouth open? :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like really light weight pipes for clenching. I think straight or only slightly bent is best for active situations like fishing. +1 the Dagner MM cob; I don't own one, but next time I buy a cob, that is the likely suspect. I have equipped my other cobs with acrylic Forever stems.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Falcons and cobs are great clinchers for the outdoors. I also agree with staying under 45 grams for straight pipes for comfort. I can go a lot heavier, but that seems to be a sweet spot for long term comfort.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The more bent the pipe, the lighter it will feel for any given weight. Hungarians are probably the most bent shape around.
Similar to chasing embers, i don't bite down on the stem any more than to keep it from falling out. In some ways, the term clenching gives the wrong impression.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Get a cob? Or Zulu, I clench everything but the Zulu/Yacht/Whatever shape seems the most effortless.
Also, as others have mentioned, don't bite on it. Corner of your mouth, let it hook behind your top teeth and dangle.

Reactions: thedoc333

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Cobs are lightest. Oom Pauls bring the weight closer in to the face. Personally, I find the Peterson P-lip the easiest to hold onto with the least amount of clenching.

Status
Not open for further replies.