PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
Most of us have heard of using spit to clean the rim. I myself don't care to much of that practice. I was just now sitting here claeaning a few of my pipe stems with brebbia stem polish and noticed the tube said " pipe and stem polish". I used it on the rim and it did a nice job of cleaning it. You have to rub it in for a bit then wipe clean and buff with a clean towel. It does a much better job than spit in my opinion. Just a little friendly advice.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just gave the Brebbia treatment to my three oldest pipes. We're talking pipes pushing 40 years old. It

brightened them up nicely. I may try a bit of it on the char stains around the top of the bowl. I thought

of it as I was working on the stems, but didn't try it. Amazing how good these briars look after decades.

These are what is probably a Chacom sold as a house pipe by Tinder Box that the in-house historian at

Tinder Box told me was priced at about $16.95, and two Savenelli pipes sold unfinished, that are now

a golden brown.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I just use my saliva and a bounty paper towel to clean the oils and 'tar' off. Works great.
I was wondering if I could use the Brebbia polish in the brown tube on my bowls? Or the same cloth I use to polish my stems with just no more added polish?

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I have a tube of that in on my shelf collecting dust! Thanks for the tip, I'm going to check this out this week. Maybe I'll even remember to take some pics!
-Jason

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
When restoring pipes I start with the traditional saliva method. After I have done this a couple of times and let it soak in, I take a full exacto knife and ever so gently scratch, what has become loose, away. I may even use dental tools. The list of what I do to clean the rim goes on. I will experiement with this thank you. But first, I must scour eBay for more estate pipes!
-Frank

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I've just about always had the habit of 'doing little circles' on the thigh of my jeans when I

finish my smoke in a brier. Keeps the rim mostly clean and shinny, lengthening the time between

proper rim cleaning. But stem polish is a great idea.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I have found that while the pipe is hot, while you are smoking it if you take a Q-Tip and moisten it with your saliva the gunk comes off like magic, pipe must be hot! The old cajun

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for the tip on using stem polish to clean the rim. I was using Q-tips with spit, and lately, lemon juice;

but I'll give the polish a try. I'm also gonna try doin' it while the pipe is still hot.

jll346

Lurker
Jun 8, 2013
I still use the saliva method but always used my finger. Going to try out some of the ideas suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.