Cleaning the chamber

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

alialansari

Mar 2, 2015
Hidd, Bahrain.
Good day,
I was hoping to find out the correct way of cleaning a pipe's chamber during the periodical maintenance. I would usually ream the chamber ever so slightly and then wipe it with alcohol. It that last step correct?
Thanks.

Ali

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member
Jan 8, 2013
The alcohol doesn't hurt, but isn't necessary. Now, after quite a few smokes, I'll use alcohol to scrub out the shank and bowl. I like to use 151 Rum.

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Personally, I wouldn't use alcohol in the chamber unless I was trying to de-ghost or sweeten a soured pipe. I've never had a pipe go sour, but have bought estates that were.
Just gently ream, if the cake is getting too thick. Too much cake will result in a cracked bowl.
+1 on 151 rum.

mikethompson

Preferred Member
Jun 26, 2016
If there is no thick cake, and you are cleaning out the bowl after a smoke, I will recommend unscented baby wipes.

folanator

Preferred Member
Nov 24, 2015
I'm on the hot water rinse as well. Hot water with a wipe of the chamber with a paper towel. Quick pipe cleaner and you're done.

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member
May 12, 2015
Monterey Peninsula
Good to hear, folanator. As I've become lazier (or more efficient!) I now tend to wait till I get a large handful, and do them all at once. Sometimes I don't even dry the innards, just towel off the stummel and stem! (Oooooh, no!!) The RH in my house is usually around 50%, so drying is no more than overnight.

folanator

Preferred Member
Nov 24, 2015
Another thing I am doing is added a few medium sized dehumeticant packs into the 2 humidors I was storing my pipes in. Humidity has been right around 50% inside the box. everything seems to be staying crisp and dry.