PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Please do not politicize this thread. It just is not intended that way, but for you to use in your discussions with others.
Regular use of cleaning sprays has an impact on lung health comparable with smoking a pack of cigarettes every day, according to a new study.
The research followed more than 6,000 people over a 20 year period and found women in particular suffered significant health problems after long-term use of these products.
Lung function decline in women working as cleaners or regularly using cleaning products at home was comparable to smoking 20 cigarettes a day over 10 to 20 years.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/cleaning-products-lungs-damage-cigarettes-smoking-20-day-scientists-warning-a8214051.html
In my view, things are looking up. My longstanding analysis is that more of our health problems are caused by industrial pollutants than smoking pipes and cigars, and that many of the people who "technically" die of tobacco use in fact were brought down by a stew of inactivity, junk food, bad genetics, existential futility, living in toxic zones, and finally, smoking four packs of Newports while sitting on the sofa eating pizza pockets.
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
So, my less than rigorous cleaning routine is the way to go, after all!
Thanks, Deathmetal! :clap:
jay-roger.jpg

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Can't remember the source now, but I recall reading in the news years ago about a study finding out that in our country (Canada) lung cancer was on the rise among people who had never been smokers nor had they been exposed to 'second hand' smoke. Researchers were at a loss about finding the culprits.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
This doesn't surprise me. We have some laundry stain spray, and getting anywhere near that stuff feels like your throat and lungs are being molecularlly perforated (or something).

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I very clearly remember the toxic stench that resulted from my mother's periodic oven cleanings. I think the stuff was called Easy-Off, and was an outgrowth of some horrible Ft. Detrick chemical warfare experiment from years ago. Can't be healthy for the lungs.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
I looked at the press release that this article was based on. While it listed 31 references I did not see one for the data they sourced for smokers. Google search results did not produce any quick answers for those numbers either.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
That was the source of the independent article

From the article you linked to:

The research was published in the American Thoracic Society's American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
I am with sitting bear. Everything can be done with vinegar and baking soda, as we do it in my house also. Society has seemed to be conditioned that is there is a fresh smell then it is clean. So air freshener companies and household products which are all owned by the same people, have for years now marketed products that are supposed to smell fresh. However, if something is scented it has benzene, formaldehyde, and other things. And if you are always smelling it, you are breathing it. I have looked into this a bit and there are also hormone inhibitors and stuff most just would not believe. Now, cigars and pipes at least to my knowledge are not as bad as smoking cigarettes or using these products.

brightleaf

Sep 4, 2017
With no evidence to support the claim as bad for lungs as smoking 20 cigarettes a day

this article is propaganda and lies. By distracting the audience with research on cleaning chemicals they assume their unfounded attack on smoking will be accepted. The trick magicians use is to keep the focus of the audience away from where it should be.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Certainly no different than comparing tobacco with marijuana as some here are wont to do. Some will even try to compare tobacco use to imbibing liquor. All sides use this technique. False equivalence, gotta luv it!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A recent study suggests ... and one study can only suggest ... that scents in perfumes, toiletries and other products are as potent as vehicle exhaust in lung and cardio problems. I'm not "chemically sensitive" in the sense that I can use deodorants, a little bay rum cologne, and scented soaps, etc. But when I walk past the fragrance counter at the local Macy's I get a little weak in the knees from the chemical atmosphere. I remember from young adulthood what it was to get off a long bus ride (days) full of cigarette smoke, and it was a similar sensation. I had to walk the nicotine/etc. out of my system, but I was young, and I felt better fairly soon.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
The study results may well be directionally correct, but since an important component hinges on self-reporting of behaviors they are inherently unreliable

Status
Not open for further replies.