PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I have been looking for an estate Calabash for a while and just won this on off eBay.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=251286663027
My question is about the cleaning process once I receive it. What if any are the differences to maintaining it over a normal briar pipe.

adam2

Might Stick Around
Jun 8, 2013
The most important: Never clean the calabas inside. It will build up a greasy layer which not shall be removed. for the cup I use a very very fine piece of sandpaper to - carefully - remove the cake. This is not done very often since the cake build very slowly. For the first many smokes you dont need to do other than cleaning with a pipecleaner after smoke.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Although I can only see one photo, I'd say wait until you get it. I almost never disagree with rothnh,

but in this case I'd wait and see what I got. It appears your new pipe hasn't been smoked much, but

it's hard to tell with a press bowl. You may not need to do much at all but a simple cleaning and load

her up!

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
roth is right.... I have two calabash's, and it's a high maintenance pipe. I do so enjoy smoking them,

but I almost always grimace when thinking about loading and smoking either one... 'cause I know what's coming.

I swear they are my best smokers, but take a lot of time and care. There is some good advice on-line for

maintenance tho. Don't let me put you off smoking it.... a calabash is a wonder and most enjoyable in big

lazy chair with a dram of any whiskey you like.....

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Thank you guys for your feedback. Actually the price and the fact that it looks to nothave been smoked much if at all, is why I jumped on it when it was so low. I have an "idea" of what im in for I just didnt know if there was something specific to look at or do since it was an estate. Again thank you for your input.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I won't Pee on your parade, but I never thought that they worth the effort vs. the smoke obtained. I bought one & sold it on ebay.

But, I don't have the patience that most here have.

Enjoy yours!!!

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I have two calabash pipes and they are indeed high maintenance pipes...but they smoke great. If the estate pipes were properly cared for, you shouldn't have any problems. If heavy latakia blends were smoked in the pipe and you wish to smoke aros or non-latakia flakes in it, I would follow Roth's recommendation. Ghosts can be troublesome in a calabash and I would recommend reserving calabashes for certain types of blends.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
It's a recollection from 35-40 years ago, but I remember that my gourd calabash was the best smoker of any of my pipes. Although I thought I'd maintained properly and it was turning a nice rusty color from its original yellow, the narrow part of the gourd developed a crack one day and that was it for that pipe.
Is your pipe a gourd type? Can't tell from the photo, but if it is, it looks like it may have been smoked a fair amount and had a replacement bowl fitted... But I've been away for so long, that others would probably have more qualified opinions.
Enjoy your calabash.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
It looks like a gourd to me but im new as far as calabashes go. I figure for 35 bucks even if it ends up having a replacement bowl and it smokes good for a while, great. It will at least teach me the process of taking care of them and if I want to buy a new one in the future. A new gourd would be a much larger investment.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Well I got the pipe in the mail today. It looks to have been smoked a few times but not much. The shank however looks to have been patched. Im going to clean it up and try it. Worst case I'll make it a decoration in my office until I get a functioning one.
2013-06-18182409.jpg

2013-06-18182356.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.