PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
Hey, folks!

I purchased this estate La Strada Profundo and was planing to clean it up but I'm a bit at a loss.

I've cleaned up some pipes in the past, but in a relatively basic manner. It's usually reaming the bowl and doing the salt and alcohol treatment. For the rim I just use some Q-tips, saliva and patience. If the stem is oxidised, I set it on an Oxyclean and water bath for 24 hours and then clean it with a shank brush until the water runs clean. Afterwards, I polish it with micromesh pads, from 1,500 to 12,000. I don't have a buffer, so I'll just use Renaissance Wax, which some people say is a good alternative for Halcyon II, and a microfibre cloth. It usually takes me a while, but with some time and some muscle I've managed to get results I'm pretty satisfied with.

The pipes I've cleaned up are usually smooth or with a normal rustication. This one, however, I think it's name does it service (Profundo is spanish for "deep". Spanish, in an italian pipe. Who knew?).

My question is directed towards how to clean it, not how to shine it. I've heard everything from mild soapy water, to a 50/50 white vinegar and vegetable oil mix, to odourless furniture cleaners, all applied with everything from toothbrushes to just some piece of flannel.

What are your thoughts and recommendations? I'm eager to read them.
20170306_220753_zpsuzbx9iwo.jpg

20170306_220821_zpsephmy8gr.jpg

20170306_220837_zpsdlkd3ll8.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I would start with an old toothbrush and distilled water; you may be surprised at how far that simple combination may take you. Also check out the Reborn Briar blog. There are good tips aplenty there.

scrumpyjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
Texas
I use Murphy's Oil Soap. Just keep it out of the bowl. Some warm water, Murphy's and a toothbrush.

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
Depending on how dirty the pipe is, I've used nylon brush with different strengths. Start with a stiff brush then work your way to a softer brush to touch it up. After that a fluffy towel to clean up the final brushing.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Soap and a brush. If it´s still resisting try a brass wire brush. The briar is way to hard to get damaged by the brass but it might leave a bit of a golden grit on the wood which you can brush off with a coarse scrubbing brush. Worked for me....

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Murphy's wood soap and hot water. Don't worry about getting it into the chamber; a hot water rinse and paper towel dry and you're good to go!
Please: After photos! Good luck!

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Stick a cork into the bowl to prevent any of it from running into it.
Great tip, then the Murphy's and a clean tooth brush, warm rinse and towel dry.
Great looking pipe by the way :puffpipe:

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I've always been a fan of Arish Wood Milk and a stiff tooth brush. It's a product that was designed specifically to remove wax and imbedded grime without any effect on stain. I also use the cork wine stopper in the bowl to keep it out of the chamber. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.