PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
This stem is from a pipe that’s pushing my noob restoration skills (chosen for exactly that purpose).

Anyway, I’m sure the stains in the channel aren’t a problem, but the stem itself appears to have taken a yellow sheen. My question is, will the yellow sand out or has it permeated through the whole piece? If it will come out, just use mesh sanding pads? It’s an estate of course and I don’t know how much of this is age vs. possible UV exposure — if that even matters...

Input appreciated!

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: lightmybriar

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
For the interior of the stem, rub a pipe cleaner through a little buffing compound, and then basically sand the inside of the stem with it. For the exterior, I’m not sure how deep discoloration like that goes past the surface. Others here will surely be able to help you regarding that.

Reactions: diamondback

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Have you first tried a cloth, detergent and hot water? And/or can you live with the, uh, patina?

No sir, haven’t tried anything yet. Wanted to ask you guys first.

I’m guessing the patina is permanent then... I was afraid that might be the case, but thought maybe there was some nifty trick to get it all shiny and clear again.

It appears to be a replacement stem on a Comoy’s London Pride Canadian (no trademark ‘C’) so no huge deal. The whole pipe is in pretty rough shape and therefore perfect to hone my new ‘restoration hobby’ chops :)

Many thanks all!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
try the toothpaste with a bristle cleaner first. If that doesn't get your result, use alcohol on a bristle, then run a bristle dipped in water a few times to clear the alcohol before it hazes the inside of the plastic. (which might be anyway)

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I use lacquer thinner on Perspex. About 5 a 10 minutes, on a pipe cleaner in draft channel. Then rinse with water. Polish a s described above.

A quick wipe of the outside with thinner will remove the dingy color. Then rinse with water.

Might want to try applying some very lightly to a spot and see how it reacts first. Some other type of plastic or whatever it is might get melty.

But I’ve never had a problem with Perspex. And it’s quick.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My uninformed assessment is that this is the way this plastic ages and the coloration permeates the stem, and I'd use it as is. Personally, I wouldn't want model paint on a pipe stem, since it's not formulated to ingest. The toxicology relates to monomers, which are small molecules you don't want wandering in your body. I like the looks of new clear plastic stems, but I have suspected they don't age well.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
My uninformed assessment is that this is the way this plastic ages and the coloration permeates the stem, and I'd use it as is. Personally, I wouldn't want model paint on a pipe stem, since it's not formulated to ingest. The toxicology relates to monomers, which are small molecules you don't want wandering in your body. I like the looks of new clear plastic stems, but I have suspected they don't age well.
the non toxic claims on paint of all sorts even water colors are based on the broad assumption you're not sticking it in your mouth. And many paint pigments are not a good idea to ingest in anyway. The same applies to the bases used too.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Thanks all! Worst case I’m on the hunt for a replacement stem.

It’ll be interesting to see what can be done with this one. I’m still down with ‘the crud’ but when I’m back on my feet and have time to work on it I’ll post updates.

/cheers

PS: I think it’d be interesting to have a sub-forum for ‘restorations in progress’. Though it might become a bit repetitive and crowded... and of course we have “rebornpipes.com.” Just spitballing. The work of pipe restoration is a fabulous hobby, for me at least.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The work of pipe restoration is a fabulous hobby, for me at least.
It's magic.?

20180613_180543.jpg

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Yeah. At least you take the time to photograph it before. I usually just jump right in. ?

Getting harder to find pipe lots on the cheap anymore. I used to gauge my purchases on no more that $ 5 per pipe, but now people spend crazy money on pipe lots.

But my wife says I have too many anyway...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Is that the same stem?
That it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.