PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
And meerschaum being very absorbant, wouldn't calcification be an issue there?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The water here in Florida is disgusting. I am worried that I will get a nasty chlorine taste left over in my pipes using the water here. I guess I will take one of my pipes I hardly use and see what happens. I am all for an easier softer way.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Good Lord, my parents used to live in FLA, and now I remember the crap water there. Almost forgot; 35 years ago last there, as my Mom moved to NM; Dad was dead.
Fortunately, chlorine does evaporate pretty well, and hopefully not a trace when you light up.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
IIRC, on the West Coast (S of Sarasota ca. 30 miles) the water had some real sulphur content, and perhaps the chlorine was added as a safeguard against germs.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Anchorage is rated as having great water. I, unfortunately, am on a well which produces a liquid iron infused substance requiring heavy filtration. But, the water cleaning technique seems to work. My only observation is I can't do it in my chair with a drink handy. I have to stand at the sink. I am getting lazy or old, combination of both I suspect.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The ground water here in Sarasota stinks like rotten eggs from all the sulfur. They have to treat it with a ton of chlorine to make it potable.
I have my hot water heater turned up to the max so I get wicked hot water. I am looking forward to seeing if it will melt all the crap in my shanks. Using Everclear takes time and tons of pipe cleaners. I will report back my findings.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I await your report with bated breath!
PS, you can use a nose clip to help with the odor....
Also, you might finish with a dash of cool drinking water. (some with Scotch for the operator, rest for chamber rinse.)

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Hey guys

I've used water for years now. I use it to clean estate pipe bowl chambers. Not the shank.

First, I'll ream the bowl. If the cake comes out easily, I'll go right to the "bath".

Stem is removed. Go to the sink, run hot water.

Use one hand to hold bowl upside down, then, with my other hand, take smallest finger and get it wet, put it into the bowl and rotate once or twice, repeat as needed until the my finger doesn't come out all brown any longer. Swap out with paper towel. Then, I'll turn to alcohol and swab the bowl interior with pipe cleaners.
I've never dipped a whole pipe into water and let it stay under---that looks really bad for the wood and it's color stain.
With my way, the bowl exterior is not really touched by the water at all. I've cleaned many many estate pipes this way and it gets them clean and sweet smoking every time. I use alcohol for cleaning the stem airways, not water, ever.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
I just tried this out with three different pipes. Removed the stems and ran hot water out of the sink through the bowls and stems for about a minute each. Followed this with some pipe cleaners, scrubbing the bowls, shanks, mortises, and stems. They definitely smelled cleaner as a result. Already smoking one after about ten minutes of dry time. Not sure if it tastes any better but it’s certainly no worse for the wear.
Only things I noticed: the finishes dulled slightly, but a quick buff with a cloth took care of that. Other thing is the fills on one pipe washed out somewhat, and are now more obvious and pit-like. Doesn’t bother me though. I think I might prefer the look.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've never dipped a whole pipe into water and let it stay under---that looks really bad for the wood and its color stain.
No one is suggesting that. For the good of science, Mr. Monkfish illustrated there's no harm in doing so; if soaking doesn't hurt, rinsing for a minute or two certainly won't.
I don't understand your reluctance to clean out the stem with hot water, nor the fingering of the pipe. Just run very hot water down the chamber and out the bit till it runs clear. Then you don't need to follow with the alcohol nonsense.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'm not the best to ask, as I pay minimal attention to the stems, though I have plans to change that one day. Seems to bring up some, but then it seems to be easy to wipe away.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I read that alcohol is a great solvent for tars and oils; but, water is an excellent solvent too, overall, owing to its bi-polar nature. Has anyone tried cleaning a dirty pipe first with water, then re-cleaning it with alcohol to see if the alcohol picks-up any grunge the water didn't remove?
Personally, I have no reason to doubt the efficacy of the water rinse, but I just can't bring myself to subject my pipes to a stream of water (even though I know that burning tobacco produces steam that always condenses inside the pipe).

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I don't clean with water, but to address some of the issues with chlorine; instead of running from the faucet, just pour a glass and let it sit out for a bit and the chlorine will be a non issue. Then you can pour the water through the pipe instead. Or get a brita or similar filter and do the same. I suppose that would remedy your issues. Although the chlorine will evaporate from the pipe anyway.

PipeMarc

Might Stick Around
Dec 14, 2017
South East
I simply abide by the drinking alcohol rule. Pour you a glass of some high proof, dip a couple of cleaners in, and the rest if for my enjoyment.

Reactions: Chicken Cod

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Tap water? Bah!
To really do the job you need a pressure-washer!
th

Status
Not open for further replies.