PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I bought a small clay pipe from John Pollock and Co. a month or so ago. It's the head of Gladstone.

It arrived in good shape, but it is very small, as pipes go. What I wanted was a normal size pipe made out of clay.

I started looking on the net and found a few clay pipe makers, but none offered larger size pipes. They were all colonial, which are very small, or just small heads of different people.

I did find a few larger pipes on Ebay, but they were already sold. I also found someone in England that made what she called giant pipes ( which really weren't that big ) but after contacting her, I was informed that she only made them a couple times a year, and had none left.

I also found Lepeltier pipes, but they are all glazed, which isn't what I am looking for.
Why are clay pipes made so small? Does anyone know where I may locate a good sized, unglazed clay?

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I have no idea where you can get large clay pipes. Lepeltier are the largest clays that I have seen and was going to recommend them until I finished reading your post, lol.
I have no idea why clays are made so small.
I have 2 of them and they are both small. I never smoke them. I have smoked 1 of them 2 times but I don't like the mouth feel of them.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have a clay that I use for Cavendish tobaccos. I think it brings out the best in them. If you want a truly transcendent experience, smoke McClelland Bulk 2050: Oriental Cavendish in a clay.
In my totally uninformed opinion, clays are usually small because
  • ● they are generally heavier for their size,

● they burn hot, so the stems are usually longer, giving less jaw leverage, thus requiring smaller size,

● they probably have a reasonable bowl capacity, but their thinner wall gives the illusion of a smaller bowl.
That's my 2¢ worth. (I haven't bought a clay in decades, so I can't make a recommendation.)

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
I think I am going to get one of those clay pipes from wwww.pipesandcigars.com , not a big investment. Just for historical value.

rs422

Lurker
Mar 2, 2010
http://www.dawnmist.demon.co.uk/pipesale.htm
Heather Coleman Makes all sizes of clays.

Her website should be updated any day now with new pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.