PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
I'm always in a big dilemma before buying my next pipe. Now I really would like to add a straight, very classical apple shape piece to my collection but I'm not sure which one would be the best. My requirements are that it needs to be a good quality, good smoking new pipe and within the price until around 200€. The shape must be straight apple and I would like to have a really classical one (English-type) which looks like it could be even from the victorian era. I found these and I can't decide:

- Stanwell: Featherweight Brown (302)

- Peterson: Sterling Silver Red (86) Fishtail - I would prefer the P-lip, but I couldn't find one with that :(

- Poul Winsløw: Crown Smooth Apple (200)

- Rattray's Dark Ale (108)

- Savinelli Tundra smooth finish (207)

- Savinelli Savinelli Fuoco Brown Smooth (207)
This is all what I found. I'm not interested in French pipes, but I welcome any suggestions for English producers, who have a straight apple within the price range. I know, Dunhill would be perfect, but in my opinion they are overpriced like hell.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I wouldn't recommend Dunhill to anyone. Have owned three and just don't care for them. Have you seen Savinelli's New Art 207?
New Art 207
002-033-38653.4205.jpg

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
Thank you!

Yes, I have seen it, but the saddle stem is what makes me unsure about it - especially the sharp line between the wood pattern and the black part of the stem. I looks a little bit dumb that at first the pattern starts to fade and after that there is that sharp line. Otherwise it is a nice-looking pipe.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
You could always try the pipe tool on Smoking Pipes, at least to get an idea or find something you want. You can even select the search criteria for the pipe characteristics: shape, finish, stem material, price, etc. I'd give it a shot for more to look at, if you haven't already. I use it all the time to give me ideas for my very next wallet slaughter. That Rattray's Dark Ale looks very nice and has a good price. Plus, it's call "Dark Ale", and we all know that nothing is better than a rich, thick, dark ale, right? Good luck and let us all know what you decide!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
The apple has become my preferred shape over the past 1-2 years, it is now what I chase.
I welcome any suggestions for English producers, who have a straight apple within the price range

Does it have to an English manufacturer/carver? Does it have to be new?
That Peterson 86 you mention is pretty close to ticking all your boxes (minus the p-lip)
Here is another good looking Peterson apple for less than $200, https://c647068.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/products/002-029-36967.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
The apple has become my preferred shape over the past 1-2 years, it is now what I chase.
I welcome any suggestions for English producers, who have a straight apple within the price range

Does it have to an English manufacturer/carver? Does it have to be new?
That Peterson 86 you mention is pretty close to ticking all your boxes (minus the p-lip)
Here is another good looking Peterson apple for less than $200, https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=275766
002-029-36967.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
For myself, it would be the Savinelli Tundra smooth 207. I love my Savinellis and like colored stems.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Look at Parker, Hardison, Ben Wade, and Britannia. I have a Savinelli Venere that I won in the pipesmagazine/smokingpipes cartoon caption contest that pretty much fills your description and which I like a lot -- nice light weight pipe, medium size bowl, and a snappy looker. Find one that really speaks to you, whatever it is. I have six or eight Peterson, and I have had no complaints, but I don't see them as English-pipe inspired; Petes are their own world. Dunhill makes classic shapes in a fine traditional style, but their pricing is an affront.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Peterson: Sterling Silver Red (86) Fishtail - I would prefer the P-lip, but I couldn't find one with that
Peterson Silver Mounted Army (87) P-Lip,
002-029-38358.5952.jpg

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=292958
:)

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Speaking of Peterson Apple models, I have had them three, and today still have one,the model 86 Military mount with sterling, the model of 87 is similar to 86 but with the bigger chamber and probably the outer dimensions,all those were bought at Uk based tobacconists,if my memory serves right,it was GQ tobacco and Cgars.Ltd,Ps,in my personal opinion, those red stain sterling silver Petersons are nothing special but a bit pricey.

daniel7

Sep 11, 2018
Balatonalmádi, Hungary
Thank you for all the help, this is an awesome community!

It seems that most of you recommend Peterson, Savinelli and Rattray's from my list. Does this mean that the others are not worth attention? This ebay finding seems a very good offer anyway!

Thanks for the tips MSO, I will check these.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
It's not that they're not worth the attention, but if I have a choice between a Peterson or a Stanwell, I'm likely picking the Pete. Not to say Stanwell's aren't worth the money, but if I you had to make a choice between two pipe brands, I would choose Peterson, Savinelli, or Rattray's over the Stanwells. I might consider a Poul Winsløw at some point, but never had Poul Winsløw pipe before, so I go with what I know.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Does this mean that the others are not worth attention?

Not necessarily. I think the above posts just fit your specific criteria, especially English and less than $200. If you want to look further, there are many fine apples from artisan carvers, but the price goes up.
Here is a fantastic apple! It's a Brad Pohlman, American (but one of the quintessential American carvers). I almost pulled the trigger and it is still in my wish list. https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/united-states/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=289877.
004-009-10881.1977.jpg

And there are many more options if you are willing to buy an estate pipe or an artisan carver. But for the original question, I think the Peterson models above are great.

Status
Not open for further replies.