PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
So with the recent threads that have gone up about jazz and blues, I decided to start a classic movie thread. What is your favorite movie or actor from the Golden Age of Hollywood? I am a huge fan of any Crosby/Hope movie or anything with Bogart or Stewart. My favorites are the old Road to movies, with Bing, Bob and Dorothy Lamour, they are just hilarious. So what is your favorite old movies?

jfox520

May 24, 2013
Casablanca, African Queen, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, and the Quite Man.

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
So The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence is good is assume, its the only Jimmy Stewart I haven't seen (and I call myself a Jimmy Stewart fan).

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Ditto jfox520. You cannot go wrong with Director Ford. The Quiet Man, a sprawling epic of his home, Ireland is superb (any funny) as is also the Wayne Westerns, "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon," and the damn near perfect B/W "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence."

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Cary Grant- "It Takes A Thief" & "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House". Bogart in "Casablanca", "Maltese Falcon" and any W.C. Fields movie. I also like the old English detective movies from the 1930's. And I'll only admit here that Rock Hudson in "Man's Favorite Sport" is in my top 10.

Oh well, Basil Rathbone in the Sherlock Holmes movies and the Charlie Chan series too. Way too many to mention.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
There ar so many great classic movies it is hard to choose. The great Wayne/Ford westerns as well as the Quiet Man. You can't go wrong with Bogey in Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon, Key Largo, The Big Sleep, etc.

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
All Best Movie nominees for 1939. An amazing year for Hollywood.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I love them all, but the first two that come to mind are Boris Karloff and Vincent Price. The horror, mystery and sci-fi are my favorite genres. Oh, another just came to mind, a real no brainer, Basil Rathbone!

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
almost anything with Bogart, Wayne or Hudson and Day. of course all the 3 Stooges and Laurel & Hardy. Redford in Three Days of the Condor and Peter Sellers in the Pink Panthers.

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
Peter Sellers is my favorite actor, but anything with Bogey, Basil Rathbone, Abbott and Costello or The Marx Brothers are right up there on top of my list. :puffy:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Many if not most of my favorite movies are probably from the '60s and '70s, but just as a point of reference in keeping with the OP, Hollywood's "Golden Age" is generally considered to have ended in '59. I definitely like nearly all the old Bogart flicks.
Hollywood's Golden Age
http://www.hollywoodsgoldenage.com/

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Some good mentions above, I like all of them. My favorite film of all time is The Wizard of Oz, with Judy Garland, Frank Morgan, and Ray Bolger. Probably because it was the first film I saw in the theater as a kid. I've seen it over a hundred times since, and my wife rolls her eyes whenever it comes on TV.
Also, the 1931 Dracula with Bella Lugosi, and Dwight Frye. Frye played Renfield and his was the best acting in the film. The most notable scene was the "Rats, rats, rats" monologue he performed toward the end of the film. Super!

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Ahhh. I do love old movies. I'm a big Jimmy Stewart fan. "Anatomy of a Murder" is a really good one. Some of my other favorites are Brando in "On The Waterfront" and James Cagney in "Angels with Dirty Faces." I agree; there are just too many good ones to mention them all.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I'm a fan of several old movies that I watch with some consistent regularity.

Those being:

My Fair Lady

This is Jeremy Brett's (the consensus archetypal Sherlock Holmes) first scene in a movie. :puffpipe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYMSvyqHHwA

Favorite quote: "Them that pinched it, done her in."

The Maltese Falcon (Movie Trailer)

Favorite quotes: "You don't quit ridin' me, you're going to be picking iron outta your liver." "The cheaper the hood the gaudier the banter."

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.