PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yUVL-0ONwYY&feature=related
Buster Keaton, and lots of old movies. This Buster clip even has a clay pipe in it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Two of my favorites:

"The Third Man" is a favorite (Orson Welles). My parents met in post-war, occupied Austria. My father was an Army plainclothes homicide investigator in Austria after the war(300 homicides in Salzburg, 1947!). This movie is set in that time and makes me think of them and how they met.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041959/
"The Best Years of Our Lives" (Samuel Goldwyn) is also set in post WWII America.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036868/?ref_=sr_1

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I like old B&W movies usually comedy types...one I can watch over and over is "Libeled Lady" (1936) stars Jean Harlow (wow!)Myrna Loy (another wow!) William Powell (the guy is so cool!) and Spencer Tracy(a great actor).

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
The Wizard of Oz

Gone With The Wind

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

Anything starring The Duke
That's all that comes to mind off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are more.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I like Paul Newman and Steve McQueen movies the best. Cool Hand Luke, The Sting, The Hustler, The Cinncinati Kid, and the Thomas Crown Affair are some of my favorites. I also prefer any James Bond Film with Sean Connery.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The Seventh Seal, though not American.
The Seventh Seal is very good. In recent years, I’ve watched several of the Bergman classics for the first time. In addition to TSS, The Magician, Hour of the Wolf, Cries and Whispers, and the trilogy of Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light and The Silence. I think those are all of his I’ve seen so far. My favorite of these is Through a Glass Darkly.

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
Here's another vote for The Third Man.
Nobody's mentioned The Big Sleep - another great piece of noir.
For comedy, you can't beat Bringing Up Baby.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
"It's a Wonderful Life"/A Christmas Carol (with Alistair Sim as Scrooge)/Miracle on 34th Street (1947 version)

"The Long Hot Summer" (esp. Orson Welles' character)

"Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" (Burl Ives was great as the Sherman tank type)
Liked Sidney Toler as Charlie Chan
Lots more...

hunterwold1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
Mrs. Miniver with Greer Garson; African Queen with Bogart and Hepburn; Cary Grant in Arsenic and Old Lace

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
There are some classics that I feel belong on the list. Full Metal Jacket(first half) Clint Eastwood westerns and Dirty Harry. The Right Stuff is head and shoulders above all in my book. The space program when I was growing up captured my imagination. I wanted to be an astronaut in the worst way. The moon landings were the pinnacle of this country's greatness. I hope and pray we achieve something as equally grand in the future.

85royals

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2012
Captains Courageous.. Key Largo.. Mr Blanding's Builds His Dream House.. any George Burns.. not so classic but I like Death Wish and Monster movies any Vincent Price .. and British mystery's

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Casablanca, Maltese Falcon, The Mummy (Boris Karloff), anything Jimmy Stewart, and the Thin Man Series (my wife loves William Powell, I hate to tell her he's dead).
It's a sign of my age that I don't consider any movie that is newer than 1965 a classic.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I have an obsession with older movies that is probably odd for my age (I'm 27). My favorites, in no particular order:
Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon, The Killers, Psycho, Duck Soup, North by Northwest, Scarface, The Big Combo, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
I get accused of being an "old man" frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.