PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pufferfish

Might Stick Around
Apr 21, 2019
Well here we go, I'm gonna try to put something straight. I gave up the pipe for a few years and recently I have crawled back to the briar, how I have missed it. Now I have read some god awful opinions on Clan pipe tobacco here and quite frankly I am surprised (you know who you are!) because over the last few weeks I have tried a few choice blends and quite honestly nothing is as distinct or memorable as good old Clan. Nothing smells like it or tastes like it and nothing makes you pick up the pipe quicker than a bowl of it. As they would say in Scotland, "Clan is the bollocks," (please excuse the language this should be said in a Glaswegian accent) which is appropriate for the name Clan. It does, after all, have a Tartan package. So come on folks, am I really the only secret Clan lover on the site?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I certainly hope so, for the good of mankind. I haven't had it in 20 years, and that's on purpose. My most memorable tasting note in Clan is the inimicable burning-shredded-plastic sort of taste.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
I will give you that Clan does smell very nice, both in the pouch and in the room note. However, it really burns as hot as any tobacco I have ever tried. Rumour has it that it was the inspiration behind the invention of Napalm.
On a technical note: Clan is not a Scottish blend and has nothing to do with Scotland whatsoever. The name and tartan are just marketing ploys from the Dutch company which makes it.
Mike

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Clan ... I have a guy in a cigar club in a nearby town that used to smoke pipe, and he just gave me an ear full about how grand clan was. I tried it out of sheer curiosity. Nice smell, nice room note, burns hot as a furnace and the taste is not even a 10th of what it smells like. Not my cup of tea ...

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
The Clan was the classic in France before the 70s, with its competitor the Amsterdamer.
Especially smoked by young people and students when it was a little fashionable to smoke a pipe, but actually because it smelled good around.
Not so much by the "real" pipe smokers ... :wink:

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
Ok, I'm losing, I can take it. I will stash it all under the floorboards so that fellow smokers cannot see it

Please, smoke what pleases you, Clan was, and probably is, one of the most sold pipe tobaccos in Europe; it certainly is in Spain where it has been available as long as I can remember. Many smokers agree with you. I don´t smoke it because I try to follow the advice I have just given you, but I believe that everyone should smoke whatever pleases them and not pay attention to the opinions of others.

pufferfish

Might Stick Around
Apr 21, 2019
Got you cachimbero and thanks for your sincere and honest comments. It is true, we all have our own taste and yes we should all enjoy what we like.
P.S I'm gonna start on about Goldblock soon :puffpipe:

Reactions: chopper
Status
Not open for further replies.