PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
The Good Ole Clan has always been very popular in our country and apparently still is because many of those men who started pipe smoking back in the 60-70 do apparently favor it by this day,included me on occasion ,not a bad one, some adaptation is needed,moreover,presumably Clan does have roots in classical Netherlands Baai* style pipetobaccoes,brands like Oud HeerenBaai,Coopvaert,

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

pufferfish

Might Stick Around
Apr 21, 2019
Thanks, Paul. Yes, now that is maybe getting closer to the truth and the reason why Clan tends to stand out against other types.
Clan does have roots in classical Netherlands Baai* style pipetobaccoes,brands like Oud HeerenBaai,Coopvaert,
I haven't tried the tobaccos above but will happily put them on the list.
Take care of yourself and enjoy that pipe! :D

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
My understanding All Those Hollandaise tobaccies tend to smoke hot, more or less, I had my worst experience with Amsterdamer Blue,we have had this Troost brand available as well,if my memory serves right it was quite popular,then there is one specific ancient brand produced by Scandinavian tobacco group, The Greve Gilbert Hamiltons* Blanding, nicotine-rich Virginia forward ribbon cut sold only in Sweden&Finland since the twenties and it is still quite popular among older pipesmokers and widely available in both countries.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Every few years or so the topic of Clan re-emerges on the pipe boards, like a zombie rising from the grave.
Read all about it here, but have a care: once you read this screed, you can never unread it.
Your life will be forever changed.
You have been warned.

Reactions: briarbuck

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
@Paul - you can probably guess wot my favourite baccy is, and I restock on it every time I go back to Blighty.

How depressing to see in the duty-free section of Thiefrow Airport endless piles of Clan but nary a tin of St Bruno flake.

piperbole

Lurker
May 13, 2019
Cheshire
Clan is a familiar smell for me, every weekend at my grandads, clan ruled the roost. I remember rubbing his tobacco for him aged 5 or 6.
Apparently it's less well received on the smokers end. It's an over the counter here in the UK, which is a huge positive.
I'm on condor at the moment, will make a 50g clan my next purchase.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@piperbole, good luck for You, what I often do with Clan,is that I use to rehydrate it, and then prior to smoke let em tobacco air dry for some 20 min and packing a bit tighter than usual, yet sip it slowly and You're supposed to have quite acceptable smoking experience.

murs

Lurker
Jun 14, 2019
honestly, i still have some clan left in the bag saving it for rainy days because it is not bad at all. it does burn hot and fast but it tastes pretty decent and packs pretty well. the room note is somewhat mild and pleasant.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Wow. I have often wondered who purchased the stuff. I have smoked it once or twice. Its on par with Royal Yuck and whilst it smells delightful it burns so hot its like smoking a bowl full of pubic hairs and renders your tongue useless for any extra curricular activities for a least a week! 8O
I bought a pouch of Clan in Matlock after buying one of my clay pipes and wanting something to smoke in it. I've also had it in the RAOB pipe I used to have, before I sold it.

Last edited:

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
I bought a pouch of Clan in Matlock after buying one of my clay pipes and wanting something to smoke in it. I've also had it in the RAOB pipe I used to have, before I sold it.
With Mum & Dad looking after my clay pipes apart from my latest one, I've only bought 5 pouches of pipe tobacco this year so far - the aforementioned pouch of Clan and the 4x 25g pouches of Condor Ready Rubbed I've smoked in my latest clay.
The Clan came from Sainsbury's and the Condor from my local Co-Op.
During my pipe abstinence I need to avoid going to the Co-Op counter, as this is the only shop in my area that sells pipe tobacco (only Condor Ready Rubbed 25g).

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
As they would say in Scotland, "Clan is the bollocks," (please excuse the language this should be said in a Glaswegian accent)

We heard it with an accent alright. Unfortunately it was Ford Kiernan's and Greg Hemphill's "Glesgay Banter" we heard it in! rotfrotfrotf

Sorry. Had to be done. I watch as much Scottish comedy television as I can get here in the US. "Still Game" is my favorite.

Dworkin

Lurker
Apr 24, 2020
Folks,

As a recent born again pipe smoker I went for Clan and it is nostalgically lovely. Local supermarket only stocks: Clan, Gold Block, St Bruno and Condor. I'm guessing these are the last men standing after the attrition against smoking in all its forms in the UK. That must mean something.

D. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.