Not open for further replies.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
image15-600x337.jpg

image14-600x337.jpg

image13-600x337.jpg

Civic Pipe with London 1919 hallmark.

Small number 48 in a circle on underside of stem.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
The smoker must have loved to smoke this pipe.
I have a small Civic bulldog saddle stamped "CIVIC" in both the shank and the silver.

Also in the silver two times S.L - by mistake maybe- and the 3 hallmarks.

Is the first for the year ? It could be a "d" but I am not sure. Hard to see even with my

best glasses and a Sherlock glas.

On the underside at the mouthpiece which is of good quality is stamped 55 in a circle.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I'd really like to see the top view photo of this piece of shit well-loved specimen. :wink:

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Yeah, I think it's been hacked rather badly. That was a nice pipe once.
The next post will be someone showing it's supposed to be like that with numerous pictorial examples. :puffy:

Mar 30, 2014
wv
If it's shiny than it's restored right?
Is this your pipe or are just showing us a pic you found?
Believe it or not I've seen Steve Laug from Reborn Pipes recondition this kind of damage, by adding half a bowl from a donor pipe.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I'm in the camp with those who see that pipe as one that was well loved instead of one that was badly "restored." Back when I was growing up, al least within the family and social circles I traveled in, pipes were simply instruments for burning tobacco and not collectible items or fashion statements. You threw down $5 or so for a pipe and smoked it until you either threw it in a drawer or threw it out. I never heard of anyone restoring a pipe. Repaired, yes; restored, no. At least that was how it was in the blue collar world of my youth. I'll bet the prior owner who circumcised that pipe did it because he loved the way it smoked and didn't want to give it up. I'd also bet that he was pleased with the result because it probably smoked just as well for him after the procedure as before. That pipe has history, it has pedigree like any other. It's a lot more than just old and ugly.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I'm in the camp with those who see that pipe as one that was well loved instead of one that was badly "restored."... That pipe has history, it has pedigree like any other. It's a lot more than just old and ugly.
You know what, man, you're absolutely right; in fact, I'm a little embarrassed at my initial take on this instrument.
I still can't imagine in what condition that rim would have been that chopping off that much of the top could conserve the quality of the smoking experience. Even if it had been charred to hell, it would have looked better left intact. On the other hand, what remains is a very old, once-beautiful pipe that probably has a very interesting story attached to it, and ultimately thank owen for sharing the pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.