PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

swb118

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 20, 2016
I cannot find the approximate year that GBD stopped manufacture of the City de Luxe brand. Can anyone help?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have not been able to find anything about dates for the CdL's. I'm curious as well since I have a nice little Canadian and would like to know its approximate age.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
I have a pricelist from the mid 60ties were City de Luxe should have been on the Danish market but I have never seen one here.
But in the late 80ties I bought 4 or 5 new old stock over in Sweden. Smooth twin bore ( Tuskan ) nd sandblasts.Very nice

pipes.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
It’s almost always much tougher to estimate when production of anything ended than when it began. A product launch is accompanied by fanfare in the press and applications for trademarks. Dropping a product is a much more furtive and occasionally intermittent process.
For what it’s worth the City de Luxe appears in the 1969 RTDA almanac, and is gone by the 1974 edition (I don’t have access to the intervening years). This would suggest production (or at least availablity in America) stopped in the early 1970s. On the other hand Jacque Cole’s article in the July 1982 issue of Tobacco includes a brief mention which implies the City de Luxe was still being produced at that time, in both England and France. Other than that brief citation I haven’t seen anything referencing the line after the 1970s.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
By the way, I have cut out English ads from 1924 & 1927. City de Luxe price 5/6........101 shapes !!

swb118

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 20, 2016
Would it be safe to say that manufacturing had ceased prior to Comoy's merged with GBD in the 80's?

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Honestly it would be just guessing. The Adler family remains in control of Oppenheimer and its related entities; you might shoot them an email and see what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.