Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Human nature will never change. This country is as contentious as it has ever been. I agree that exclusion is a slippery slope, but it is still for me worth navigating. Until it becomes a hate crime or denies life saving service, I think a business should be able to refuse service to anyone. Sarah can go to Mickey D's, the gay couples can get better cakes somewhere else, and CI can post their stuff on a different site.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
And what did that lead to?
Special elections.
People don't dress up for anything anymore. Maybe if I wore I tie more often they'd bring back public executions.
Well, as George Jessel said about Harry Cohn's funeral, "Give the people what they want and they'll come."
But mores have changed a little. These days it wouldn't do to bring along the kiddies and a picnic lunch.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I think taking the kids, depending on their mental maturity, their ability to understand, to a legal execution would be a great teaching moment with regard to actions have consequences. This would be particularly true for a botched hanging complete with kicking feet, gagging and gurgles, suffocation rather than humanely snapped neck. Of course, I speak only for myself and from my rather jaundiced view of homo sapiens (which in itself is a misnomer). "Wise man" my arse!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Public executions. I can see it now as a reality TV show called 'Chip off the old block' sponsored by Wilkinson Sword razor blades and BIC for the quickest beheading!! :rofl:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Government executions, the only subject I disagreed with Charles Krauthammer on. I wrote him and pointed out that the recidivism rate for executed criminals was negligible. He still clung to the believe that judicially ordered executions were not all that civilized. He was right of course but, I'm not all that civilized either.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I wrote him and pointed out that the recidivism rate for executed criminals was negligible.
True and that's a benefit. I've always thought that capital punishment also establishes the value of human life. If someone rapes and kills your daughter and gets 25 years of hot meals and cable TV, then society is sending a message that that's all your daughters life was worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.