PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
What has been your experiance with buying cigars from the internet? I want to try some but not sure how well they will keep in the mail. It's pretty cold here and the warm is 50 degrees F. My problem is I don't want them to dry out in transit. My humidor is also out of commission as I was having moisture (or lack there of) issues.

I don't yet have a humidor, I smoke my cigars up pretty fast. Buying only four or so cigars a week, I go through them pretty fast. so, when I get a shipment that has cigars in it, they are in ziplocks, and they manage to make the ride to me without harm. Others will buy bulk loads of them and just quickly put them in their humidors. Even bulk pipe tobacco seems to survive the mail. I don't think that you'll have an issue with them drying out during transit, nor will they get damaged, unless you get an irate delivery driver that drives over your box, ha ha. Be nice to those hard working guys and gals! :puffy:

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
As long as you are ordering from a good online retailer and you should be fine.
Like cosmicfolklore mentioned they are bagged up and usually have air pillows to prevent bouncing around.(I even had a couple that included little viles full of humidity gel in the bag)
I would suggest letting them sit a couple days to acclimate(some suggest a couple weeks, I am not that patient). One of my favorite things about pipe tobacco is you don't have to wait for it to acclimate before smoking or store it in a humidor.
If you are in a bind for a humidor check out making a cool-a-dor; there are plans and examples all over the web. Just need an air tight container and a humidification device.
A lot of times I give my family cigars as birthday gifts and rather then wrapping them and letting them potentially dry out I put them in a cooler with a gel humidity jar for storage until I hand them out.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Nothing but good experiences, I highly recommend cigarplace.biz, if you're not buying a box they come in the cellophane wrapper in a ziplock bag with a waterpillow, if you buy by the box the box comes with it's original plastic seal intact. Some places don't ship it in the box which to me is a big turn off as if you don't have a humidor, or even if you do, it really comes in handy to store boxes of cigars in a cooler. I live in a very cold dry climate in the winter and have had zero issues with dryness. Usually if anything the cigars are a bit overhumidified when they come. Having lack of moisture in your humidor means you should probably check to see if the seal is working on it.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
All my sticks from Cigars International / Pipes & Cigars have been perfect.
+11 on using a tupperware for storing your cigars ... waaayyyy easier to maintain humidity.
Stick a couple pieces of spanish cedar in there for the aroma effect.
Basic set-up ... container, humidity beads and a hygrometer:
50875d1272944718-post-pics-your-tupperdor-tupperdor-001.jpg

bloodwood

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2014
Puyallup, WA
Living in WA state I purchase ALL my c-gars off the net.
You won't go wrong when you go reputable.

This includes ordering certain puffers from, a-hem, Spain.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cigar retailers bank on return business, so they'll get the sticks to you in good shape. Their livelihood depends on it.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Cigarsinternational.com and pipesandcigars.com are the two best dealers I've had the pleasure of dealing with. Their shipping is great and so are their prices. Never had an issue as many of my shipments were going as far as Iraq and Afghanistan. Tupperware container works great!

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've bought cigars from Cigars International, and JR cigars in the past, and have always gotten good cigars and good service. I haven't bought cigars in over a year, so I don't know how they are now. I have two humidors with the cigars I have left, one for flavored cigars and one for regular cigars. I have about 50 cigars total, and I keep an eye on them and the humidity levels, but haven't smoked one in about six months. I'll probably smoke a couple now that the weather is warmer, as I need some cigar ash for pipe mud.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Your cigars will arrive in good condition but keep in mind that cigars do not have long shelf life unless they are kept in a proper environment. Cigars with thin wrappers can be ruined if they sit in a car just 8 hours. Tupperware with humidification beads can work fine. You'll also want to get a hydrometer.
If you only keep 5 or ten cigars, you could get away with Boveda humidification packets in doubled baggies. That can keep them fresh for a few months.
My favorite cigar vendors are Atlantic Cigars and Famous Cigars.
Pax

pcr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2014
In my experience cigars from an Internet source are shipped a bit over humitified. They'll be fine, better shipping this time of year than summer. Give your new cigars a resting time before you smoke them. Maybe 4-7 days. Good luck and enjoy!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
All said and done, if it's between pipes and cigars, it's pipes for me. A cigar is a lovely engineered smoking experience, but pipes offer so much, and you can mix blends at will and whim.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
@MSO, I used to be the complete opposite, cigars all the way! Yet as I have settled and spent the time to learn the trade and actually enjoy the process and flavors, I wholeheartedly agree with you. It's cheaper overall and is really second to none when it comes to ambiance. Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind a stick from time to time but when given the choice I always reach for my pipe:)

Status
Not open for further replies.