PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2019
Undah Da Sea
Hi everyone, I'm a new pipe smoker from the prairies of western Canada. I recently picked up a pipe hoping to get away from smoking factory cigarettes. I'm only 2 months in but I feel that I've regained some control and no longer need to buy another pack. Pre-rolled factory cigs have become obscenely expensive over here, even for the lowest quality... There is a black market but I'm not prepared to go that route. So, I figured pipe smoking is worth a shot.

The first month with a pipe was rough... complete with all the tongue bite and scalding bowls but it was definitely worth it. At least now I can enjoy a nice long smoke and discover what I've been missing all these years. If you can imagine starting from the cheapest cigs, then smoking "drugstore" blends like Captain Black... I was impressed to say the least. I still dig them, but right now, every blend is amazing to my unrefined noob palate. I've taken a liking to VaPers but english and burley blends are where I'm headed next. Related to this, I've also discovered the world of rolling your own and found some great tobacco over there too. As a bonus, I've actually been able to cut down considerably and don't have intense cravings anymore like when I wake up in the morning. Maybe it's due to less additives and more satisfying smokes? Either way, I'll take it. I used to light up simply for a nic "hit" but now it's more about relaxation while savoring the taste and smell. Also, there's something about the all the motions involved to get a good smoke that the perfectionist in me finds appealing.

Obviously, this isn't about quitting. I like smoking, but I don't like the idea of being ripped off. So if I'm faced with exorbitant prices, I want to get my money's worth - real quality tobacco developed by master blenders. Not re-pressed floor sweepings, mystery fillers and chemical cocktails found in factory cigs.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share how I ended up here and encourage those of you that struggle with cigs to give pipe smoking a try. The tobacco here is on a new level, and there's no going back to factory cigs once you've had a taste... besides, there's an interesting hobby to explore if you are inclined to stick around.

It's good seeing you all - just thought I'd pop out from lurking to say hi ?

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Congratulations! I also started smoking pipes quite a few years back when I also smoked cigarettes. Like you, I wasn't necessarily trying to quit cigs when I took up pipes. However, I eventually came to prefer the pipe and don't really care for cigarettes any more. Just pipes and the occasional cigar these days.

Reactions: Dusk

Dusk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2019
Undah Da Sea
Congratulations! I also started smoking pipes quite a few years back when I also smoked cigarettes. Like you, I wasn't necessarily trying to quit cigs when I took up pipes. However, I eventually came to prefer the pipe and don't really care for cigarettes any more. Just pipes and the occasional cigar these days.

Thanks! They'll likely taper off completely but until I'm comfortable using a pipe in public, I'll roll some if I'm headed out. I haven't gotten into Cigars yet but they're definitely on the list.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
The first month with a pipe was rough...
I feel you, brother! I made the switch almost 9 months ago now, not a single ciggie of any kind since Christmas. A RYO would start me down a very slippery slope, so I stay away. It's been great: my health is drastically improved, I'm gradually smoking less and less, and I'm having way more fun frittering away my money on pipe stuff rather than cigarettes. The first 60 days or so were a beast, though. My mouth was wondering what the hell it did to piss me off so much. Welcome!

Reactions: Dusk

Dusk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2019
Undah Da Sea
@trubka2 Good stuff! Yeah the lower part of the bowl started to hollow out from all the (ab)use so I had to pipe mud them back in to shape lol.

@cshubhra I think what I really struggled against was dependency on mystery chems added at the cig factory. Nicotine is minor by comparison because pipe tobacco doesn't make me fiend for smoking at all. The cigs I roll now use natural, straight tobaccos so I feel that is helping with the move. There's a long road ahead but right now, I'm more concerned about controlling my usage than anything. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.