pipebeast

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2016
Used to smoke American Spirits, I quit. Every once in a while a Marl No. 27

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I lament the loss, to the U.S. at least, of Gauloises Blondes (blue). IMO the finest cigarette ever crafted.
Cigarettes today are sheet tobacco poison. Need to blend and roll (ROLL, not stuff) your own.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Used to smoke Benson and hedges black and gold, they would be the full strength ones, back then they were 6.50 a pack, cigarettes are now about 17$ a pack, but I no longer smoke cigs. Converted so many smokers to B&H though it was crazy.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Cigarettes today are sheet tobacco poison. Need to blend and roll (ROLL, not stuff) your own.
Exactly. Mass-produce tobacco-flavored shredded paper loaded with toxic chemicals for people to smoke, and then when they get sick real tobacco gets the blame.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I started with Lucky Strike but quickly switched to Camel Turkish Golds when they were introduced. They were B1G1 for months and months.

At some point around 2006 I stated smoking kretek exclusively, Djarum Super was my preference.

When they got snatched from the market in late 08, I started rolling my own kretek using American Spirit RYO and a mix of hand ground Madagascar and Ceylon cloves. Occasionally I'd supplement with a couple cartons of my favored Supers or other brands by ordering directly from Indonesia.
Now I've been off the cigs for almost a year. When I make the odd trip to Strauss Tobacconist I pick up some bulk Stokkebye shag and have fun with that for a week or so.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Sorry if this runs a little long ... :wink:
I’ve cut way down on the cigarettes. When I indulge anymore, I stuff my own into empty filter tubes, which I keep on hand. For holidays, I might pick up some Nat Sherman MCDs. For the occasional road trip, I’ll sometimes cheat and pick up a pack of Natural American Spirits, just the original blue/turquoise box.
I bought my first pack of smokes (Marlboros) at the tail of the ‘70s for 75¢. 8O I’ve had time to try nearly every American brand imaginable, along with a few Japanese brands, a few from the U.K., various European, at least one good brand from Canada and one really awful one from the former U.S.S.R.
The first brand I smoked regularly (bought by the $10.40 carton) were a brand R.J. Reynolds only made for a few years in the mid-80s, Sterling Special Blend (I preferred the menthols). I was a sucker for their upscale yuppy ad campaign, but SSBMs (not to be confused with the generic-level Sterlings that came along later) were unusually good. They were cut slightly longer than filter kings, were wrapped in an unstriped white paper that imparted little taste when burned, and were packaged in black hard boxes. The smoke carried cocoa and brandy flavors that worked particularly well with the highly pronounced menthol; the note was reminiscent of *ahem!* an aromatic pipe tobacco. Yummy retrohaling and french-inhaling these! They simply disappeared in ’87 or ’88. I’ve not found a cigarette to match those old Sterling menthols since.
Went from Newports to Marlboros before settling on Natural American Spirits, which I ended up smoking regularly for about 20 years. Those first NAS smokes were thicker, heavier and would go out if left unattended; the smoke was a really hefty burley/virginia. Somewhere along the line (2002), R.J. Reynolds got their mitts on the brand. Now they’re brighter, lighter, narrower, but more readily available. They seem to be running about $11.25-11.50/pack in my neck of Chicago, even more downtown (jefff ... $14?!?).
Between the big cigarette companies throwing their own customer base under the bus and all the insane taxation, I avoid buying factory made cigarettes as much as I can. Besides (and the moral of the story is :wink: ), I just find the pipe so much more enjoyable. :puffy:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Great thread, Javin.
I've smoked 20 odd cigarettes since I gave them up nine years ago. But before that, holy hell, I loved them all: smoked menthols as a youth - Benson & Hedges Green - then hand rolled many hundreds of pouches of Drum, Samson & Bali when I left the U.S. I fondly remember the black Colorado Suaves I smoked for years in Argentina as well as the Dunhill Red labels and Players I'd grab in the duty free shops when I was on the road. And every once and again I'd pick up a pack of Camel or Gauloise non-filters just to play a joke on my lungs.
I love cigarettes and I miss them very, very much.
Cosmic, I never knew Chesterfields had an element of Latakia. I wouldn't have appreciated that brand back then, but Lord knows, I would now.
Fnord

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I see lots of Camel fans here. I've smoked Camel only once during our honeymoon with my wife in Maldives. I left my Marlboro pack at the hotel so asked for a cigarette from our tour guide who was smoking Camel. That Camel tasted like crap. Actually I think every cigarette brand in Maldives tastes like crap, even Marlboros. I have to give Camel another try.
I used to smoke Marlboro Gold Touch when I was a student in Korea, after moving to Azerbaijan I became a Parliament smoker because Marlboro didn't taste the same here. With the prices going really high (twice), I had to switch to Winston. Until now the best cigarettes I've ever tried were "George Karelias and sons" (Greek) and Turkish "Parliament Long". I also used to roll my own with Golden Virginia tobacco, Gizeh papers and filters, however I gave all my stuff to a close friend when I quit smoking cigarettes (lasted for 2 months).
ophiuchus, I enjoyed your post.
Great thread, Javin.
Thanks a lot Fnord.
jvnshr

When you compare wages in America to wages on this side of Earth, the price is actually not that different in comparison.

As a side note, did you find out anything about Herzegovina Flor cigarettes we discussed in another thread?
That's partially true I think. Wages in Azerbaijan were not that bad 2 years ago and the $ exchange rate was really nice. Then we had 2 devaluations and things changed. And I find tobacco taxes in the States and Europe very high (I am not even talking about Canada and Australia). Regarding Herzegovina Flor cigarettes; whenever I buy a pack of cigarettes I always check the counter for Java. I guess it is not very popular, so not every store carries that brand. And may I ask which side of Earth you are from? :)

pipebeast

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2016
I almost forgot - I also had a phase where I smoked Dunhill Fine Cut - black pack almost exclusively. Haven't seen them in years now.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
jvnshr

From Georgia, that makes us neighbours in a sense.

The economic situation here is same as well, not very good for a pipe-smoker.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I forgot about Belomor Canal cigarettes. I loved those and a few years ago a chum got me a bunch of tins of them on a visit to Moscow. I seem to remember putting a tin in the Box Pass and giving several tins away to people on this forum. They really were the original Bolshevik fire cracker!

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
jvnshr

From Georgia, that makes us neighbours in a sense.
Oh, great. I have been to Tbilisi once, such a great city. And of course, let's not forget the wine. Much to my surprise, you have really good professionals who know a lot about wine, even the sellers at wine shops can give you a lecture about wine making. Unfortunately here in Azerbaijan, they just know about producing and selling, nothing more.
The economic situation here is same as well, not very good for a pipe-smoker.
At least you managed to end bribery and corruption and have visa-free entrance to EU. :) Let me know if you happen to visit Baku, I will be more than glad to meet you here and smoke a pipe with you.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
jvnshr

We like to believe that we invented the wine, so familiarity with it to a certain extent is expected from citizens.

I'll be sure to pop by if I happen to be there.
Is tobacco widely distributed there? Only blend that I'd call outstanding I managed to find here was Peterson Irish.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Smoked Marlboros in my teens at under $2.00 a pack. Later switched to Camels then Winston. Finally American Spirit Blue at $5.00 a pack and they are $7.50 now. American Spirit Black was the last pack I ever bought some time last spring. AS are the best tasting cigs I ever had, aside from some french (?) brand I had 20 years ago.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
jvnshr

We like to believe that we invented the wine, so familiarity with it to a certain extent is expected from citizens.

I'll be sure to pop by if I happen to be there.
Is tobacco widely distributed there? Only blend that I'd call outstanding I managed to find here was Peterson Irish.
All I can find is Captain Black and Erinmore. You may see some exotic blends once in a while. Cigarettes and vodka are widely distributed here though :)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
When I was working in the RFE, Canals were great fun. A grqt wake up cigarette also. If you want to come close to that experience, put your cigarette between fourth and fifth finger, close your fingers to form a tube, now suck deeply from the hole formed by your index finger. Lovely! Right?
A Marlboro made in, is it Poland these days, tastes nothing akin to one made in the US. I enjoyed European Marlboros when I worked in Russia.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
American Spirit Yellow

American Spirit sage/celadon

Camel Turkish Royals

Marlboro Reds
Camel Turkish Royals used to be my go to until I switched to mostly Spirits for the more natural tobacco. I personally think they are the best tasting mainstream cig out there. Camel recently rereleased the Turkish line, I think the royals are still the same recipe.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
If you want to come close to that experience, put your cigarette between fourth and fifth finger, close your fingers to form a tube, now suck deeply from the hole formed by your index finger.
I have to try this one next time :)

I know that the black American Spirits are Virginia/Perique blends, but What are the differences between the blue, light blue, yellow, green, and orange, and red packs? I have been to their website, and it's still not clear to me. Do you guys just try each of them to see which one is a blend that you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.