Cigar Smokers, Let's Get This Going Again!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@maxpeters, that would require a big ass walk-in humidor all by itself. I hope they made that big bastard from reject leaf, what a waste of good stuff.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Not to mention, we all kind of like each other and with the generosity of this site guys will soon be sending sticks to each other as well as pipes and tobacco.
There you go, problem solved. Glad I could help :nana:

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
"@maxpeters, that would require a big ass walk-in humidor all by itself. I hope they made that big bastard from reject leaf, what a waste of good stuff."
Well, from what I understand, it sold for $185,000.00. Must be WONDERFUL stuff!

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
OK, dumb question- Should I keep my single cigars in the cellophane wrappers they come in, or take them out when I put them in my Tupperdore?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
OK, dumb question- Should I keep my single cigars in the cellophane wrappers they come in, or take them out when I put them in my Tupperdore?
This is like the most hotly debated question in cigar storage. There is no right or wrong answer, it comes down to personal preference. Personally if you're just keeping them in a tumidor, then I would leave them on, as there's no cedar from the tupperware to scent the cigars. Personally I take mine out of the cellophane then put the cigars back into the cedar box the cigars came in inside my cooler. The cellophane does slow the aging process. But unless you've got some kind of cedar lining happening, it really isn't going to make much difference imo. The cellophane will protect the cigars. Alot of people leave them in even with a humidor, it's more if you're going to do some long term aging you take them out, which I plan on doing. But do some searching and you'll find it's a pretty hotly contested issue. The cellophane does breathe so it's not cutting off the air altogether. I do keep the cellophane wrappers though so I can put it back on the cigar when if I'm taking it out somewhere.

jimbo69

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2014
My personal experience says to leave the cello on. Having had a tupperdor full of (admittedly yard 'gars) and a few wrapped ones develop beetles, the wrapped ones survived. I pretty much use boveda's in everything now (ugh, 15 humidors is a pain... I need to downsize!!!)
Cellophane is not air or water vapor tight - it lets both in. I've got quite a few aged sticks that the cello has yellowed and become fragile and are still quite tasty (the gars, not the cello).

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
In case anyone hasn't tried it, Boveda packs can be recharged. I've taken a dried out pack (hardened) and stuck it in a ziplock bag with a sponge soaked in distilled water. After a couple weeks that Boveda pack is back to soft and squishy. Put back into the hunidor it holds the same RH as it did before. I have a rotation of three Boveda packs, works like a charm.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Well ... glad I bumped this thread! :)
Andrew: Those Alec Bradley Sun Growns are amazing ... They could easily bump my Ashton VSG's out of

rotation at that price point!
The "cellophane debate" is a usual one ... I remove mine prior to resting in the tupperdor.
Jimbo: If you get beetles, then you're storing them too warm / moist. Keep it at about 70°F for temp

and no more than %72 humidity ... I like mine more around 68%.
Thanks for keeping this going guys!

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
My only issue with removing the cello is ending up with damage to the wrapper, so I usually leave them on. The cigars my wife smokes come without and ever so often one develops a crack in the wrapper.
One good thing to get is a glue called El Ligador. Its the same glue they use when rolling cigars and a tiny bottle lasts for a long while. I cannot tell you how many cigars I have saved because of this little bottle of glue. It pays for itself time and again.

jimbo69

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2014
Yeah Cob, I was just relating my early experiences with storage. I was using beads in the tupperdors and while had the right humidity with the gauges I had, didn't exchange air enough I think.
Anyways, back to cello on or off, was just making the point that cello on saved about 10 sticks out of that pinhole infested mess of yard cigars.
It's also saved a few cigars from my being overzealous with the PG solution and the bricks... cello wipes off nicely :)

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
... overzealous with the PG solution and the bricks
Lol ... I here ya! :)
If I were to upgrade to a "Coolidor", where I could store whole boxes at a time, I would leave the cello on

with the sticks in the original boxes. Maybe someday ... :)

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Well thanks to this thread I cheated on my pipes last night and smoked a victory cigar after my cycling event. It was a Perdomo ESV Maduro churchill which was accompanied by some Makers Mark and the fire pit. Perfect ending to a great weekend.

crusher47

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 29, 2014
Cigar smoker here.... favorites are Fuente Hemmingway, Punch, Romeo & Julieta, Sancho Panza and pretty much anything from Drew Estate (Kuba Kuba & Blondies at the top of the list)

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
smoke some cheap stuff every night (like ones that taste like expensive brands & are about $2.00 a stick or less) & always have a box of La Gloria's for weekends.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
smoke some cheap stuff every night (like ones that taste like expensive brands & are about $2.00 a stick or less) & always have a box of La Gloria's for weekends.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Careful with that stogie Cosmic ... about 1/2 way through, the whole cigar

goes "POOF" and disappears in a cloud of thick, creamy smoke! :D
Let us know what you think of this one ... I like the Brazilian wrappers.

It was delicious. Strong, but not harsh. Chocolate-y, but not sweet. Paired well with a peach juice and a splash of lime. I'd smoke another, but I was hoping for a little more strength. I can still walk across the room, ha ha. I may have to take a break from these stronger smokes, to get my tolerance back down, so that I can enjoy these more, ha ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.