Cigar Smokers, Let's Get This Going Again!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
4 Fresh Todd Johnson Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
12 Fresh Eltang Basic Pipes
48 Fresh Neerup Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Has anyone else picked up one of these single Humi-pack cigars at the convenient stores?
The local AM/PM had these and two others for $5.99 a piece so I had to grab one.
Humidity level was almost spot on and the burn was nice and even.
macanudo2-515x600.jpg

macanudo-484x600.jpg

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Bumping this thread again ... as the title says, "let's get this going"!
Recently, I smoked a 5 Vegas AAA Maduro with a friend from work. When I first received these cigars I thought

they were ok, but nothing to write home about. Well, after about 2 years in my humidor, they transformed

into smooth, full-bodied, chocolatey wonder-sticks!
This isn't my pic but it is the same cigar:
5vegas-aaa-c.jpg

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Has anyone else picked up one of these single Humi-pack cigars at the convenient stores?
The local AM/PM had these and two others for $5.99 a piece so I had to grab one.
Humidity level was almost spot on and the burn was nice and even.
several of the local golf courses I frequent do a brisk business in those single packed Mac's

I pick up the occasional GTO Dominican at the B&M. I like the Dobal Capas with the barer pole wrap, and sometimes the Painkiller, which puts me to sleep pronto. I never get more than three, but I've been slowly learning that I'm probably not supposed to be smoking them as slow as a pipe, because I can feel the nicotine killing brain cells as I smoke them, like sizzle that I can feel in my brain, ha ha. I won't commit to buying more than just a few at a time though, as I don't have a humidor, and I know I won't smoke them as often as my pipes.
But, I am kicking the end of this night off with a GTO Painkiller, Dominican ligero and corojo. I don't know what those tobaccos are, but I think they are a main ingredient in heroine, ha ha.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I won't commit to buying more than just a few at a time though, as I don't have a humidor, and I know I won't smoke them as often as my pipes.
Hey Cosmic ... get yourself a tupper-dor set-up so that you can rest a few of those GTO's!

They require very little fussing and a couple years on your favorite stogie is like 5 years on a tin.
Ligero, btw, is a powerful leaf used for full-body and spiciness ... mmmmmm :P

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
With my birthday coming up I decided to dump some more sticks into my humidor. Most of what I have in there is a little over a year old now: Cohiba, Ave Maria, Camacho, Romeo y Julieta. I also have some La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amors and Flor de Las Antillas.
Picked up a five pack of Arturo Fuente 8-5-8's, a couple La Zona Connecticut's, a couple Flor de Las Antillas by My Father, and a La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor. An even 10 to add to the humidor.
Have a friend coming over on Saturday who smokes cigars so we'll probably burn a couple of the older ones.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
http://kohnhed.com/2013/08/08/cigar-review-alec-bradley-american-sun-grown-blend/
I bought a box of these based on this review and the fact this cigar made the top 25 budget cigars of the year for Cigar aficionado magazine. The review is spot on. Honestly I have a bunch of Montecristo #4's, but I decided to pick up a few boxes which I mentioned earlier in this thread. All I can say is wow. From the first puff I was more than impressed with this cigar and can say it's on par almost with the montecristo in the flavor profile, with some slight differences of course. But all in all you could take a montecristo band and put it on this and unless the person was a total cigar snob, they would think they're smoking a cuban. At about 4$ a stick (not even) I'm really glad I took the plunge and just bought a box without even trying one first. The selection where I'm from is pretty much cubans, and a montecristo #4 is 20$ a piece. Even though I got mine for 4$ each from someone that brought them back from cuba, it's the fact I know what they're worth I just couldn't burn through them. Plus I want those to age along time.
All in all I'd give it a 4 out of 5. The difference is a montecristo #4 builds a bit more towards the end, these stay a bit more uniform, but it's just puff after puff of pure bliss. I would classify it as mild/medium more towards medium. The review in the link is spot on, can't bother to add anything to it, other than damn, these are beauties.
BoxPhoto.jpg

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@andrew, what is the flavor profile like on those? I wish I had access to Cubans. Haven't had one in six years.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
@Cosmic check at your local B&M if they have old wooden cigar boxes, usually they'll sell them to you, my local sells them for 2$ a piece and donate the money to charity. Just put in a humi pack and you've got yourself a cheap humidor that will properly age your cigars at the same time. I just get a hygrometer at a pet store, they're under 5$ and this way you can be sure you've got the proper humidity. Tumidors and such are good, I use a cooler, but I just keep my cigars in the boxes they come in inside the cooler, so it's no different than a walk in humidor. You want to get that cedar smell though into the cigar which is why a tumidor is okay, but if you really want the benefits of aging, which is a nice cedar flavor along with the other factors, you need the spanish cedar.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
@Cmmdr it's really got that cocoa flavor you get in a montecristo, along with some spice, raisins, cedar, some leather, I couldn't really pick up the leather too much. It's mainly that natural cocoa flavor, honestly I'd take one of these for under 5$ over a montecristo anyday. Even if monte's were affordable these would still give them a run for their money. I just remember smoking it and thinking damn, this is pretty much just like a montecristo.

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I think a cigar forum would be nice. I've never joined one though. I went through the costly trial and error phase years ago. My only problem with cigars is that they became way too pricey. I can't in good conscience enjoy something that cost me $ 5.00 to $10.00 each and every smoke. I can't afford it. And when you get below that, quality is touch and go. Plus the ones above that price level, although good, are too costly for me. I just won't pay that kind of money.

I don't like to experiment that much anymore. Pisses me off to no end buying a/any cigar and the damn thing won't smoke because it's wrapped too tight. So affordable bundles are pretty much avoided.

I do like Cubans, but even there I've found some that I didn't care for. My best smoke ever was an H. Upman 5" Corona, but I can't get them regularly of course. And at $13.00 each ( this was about 10 years ago) I wouldn't even if I could afford them.

When I do buy cigars these days I like Santa Karina Robustos at $1.75 apiece, or Cusanos Toro at about the same price.

So I usually just stick with my pipes.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Here's my .02. Many of the site sponsors here sell cigars. Instead of having and supporting a separate site, why don't y'all just feel free to start cigar threads??? I mean this one has been going on for a while and I haven't seen Kevin or a mod jump in and issue a cease and desist order.
Now the site isn't advertised to attract cigar smokers per se, but it sounds like enough of the membership is interested in cigars. I haven't stocked my humidor in a while since I have been working on pipe tobacco cellar, but that doesn't mean I don't fire up a stick every now and then.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
+1 yazamitaz. A "What cigar are you smoking" thread similar to the monthly "What are you smoking" thread, with less JimInks posts.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Yeah I agree. A thread or two on here keeps it fresh and is plenty of space for the discussion of cigars.

I enjoy maybe a cigar or two a month during the summer. I dabbled a bit with different brands and types and found I don't like a lot of cigars. I've settled on the Fuente Gran Reserva line. I really enjoyed this one with the pointy head but sadly all thats left is the picture. I like the Rothschilds 4 1/2" length best as I can easily get an hour smoke out of them. At $6-7 a piece they don't break the bank and it doesn't really matter anyway since I smoke so few.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wedding, births, banquets, I'll accept a cigar. I've enjoyed a few. Like Dominicans better than the Cubans I've smoked.

But three cigars, I can buy a tin or three of pipe tobacco and smoke for a month. I just like a pipe better. But cigars

are cool too.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
+1 @bentmike, agreed, it is a nice departure from pipes, tins, cellars and the like. I also don't smoke many cigars but have plenty as aging is always a good thing, plus cigars age more efficiently than tins/jars of pipe tobacco do. My sticks are (I believe) reasonably priced, usually in the $4-$8 range.
I experiment with storing them in their cellophane wrapper and out of it. Anyone have their preference for storing wrapped/unwrapped with some experience?

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
In my experience, it's better to store them out of the cellophane wrapper if you have the right humidity and location to store them. Not all humidors will do that the way they're supposed to. If not, then keep them in the cellophane. They stay fresh a little longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.