PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
What’s the counter foil , opposite end of the spectrum , to the acidic cigar / Virginia taste ?

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Hmmm ... opposite is the wrong word
How about counter to .. for example a light blended whisky vs sms , or dry vs sweet..
Acidic vs ?

sumusfumus

Jul 20, 2017
New York City
John Patton's:
'Storm Front'....mild, sweet, easy to smoke....really nice aroma and flavor.

'Dark and Stormy'....sam as above but with the addition of a small amount of Latakia leaf. i found it slightly harsh.
4 Noggins sells mixtures that contain cigar-leaf. Try buying a few ounces of mild cigar trimmings- from a cigar hand roller- and add some cigar-leaf to your favorite blend(s).... for a little more interest and complexity.
Frank

NYC

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
One more cigar blend that doesn't receive much mention is Planta's Full English.
The original recipe used Syrian Latakia, but now uses Cyprian, Virginia and Java cigar leaf. Good stuff when it can be found.

thefishguy

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2017
C&D’s chopped cigar leaf is tasty all on its own. I also use it as a mixer when trying to add some volume to the smoke.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
For future searches, I want to add a blend that I tried. 4noggins bread loaf. It's very tasty. The cigar is not overwhelming. And there is a bread kind of note every once and a while which I love.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
thefishguy, I agree. C&D cigar leaf is a pleasant pipe tobacco on its own, mild but flavorful, to me.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I recently found a jar of C&D Seersucker that got pushed to the back. Had about 18mo. on it and I was very impressed. It's from their cellar series but I couldn't see waiting 10-15 years. Very cigar leaf based, I think I like it better than my old favorite, Key Largo.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Several guys already mentioned Billy Budd, which has Latakia. For VaPer lovers who would rather not smoke Latakia, I recommend Billy Budd Blonde: "A blend of bright Virginia flake, white Burley, chopped cigar leaf, and a touch of Perique". To me it has an almost Oriental character -- the cigar-ishness being held to a whisper.

Status
Not open for further replies.