PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
How many of you dispose of your cigar butts by smoking them in a pipe? Do you "rough up" the cigar butt before packing it into the pipe or maybe mix the cigar tobacco with pipe tobacco?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I personally would never put cigar tobacco in my pipes. You will ghost the crap out of it and besides, when your cigar is at the end, it is time to pitch it. If you feel the need to get every bit out of your cigar that you can, get some hemostats and smoke it like a roach.

goalee1

Might Stick Around
Jan 21, 2012
+1. No matter what cigar, by the time you get to the end, you're experiencing "the bitter end" so to speak. In 25+ years of cigars, I've never had the urge to even come close to roach clipping a cigar as to me they're done by the time I can't hold it in my fingers. G1

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
+1 hobie1dog. Tobacco from a cigar butt in my pipe? That idea sends shudders down my spine

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I don't think I could bring myself to burn a cigar butt in a pipe. I like cigars and I like pipes, but that just doesn't sound appealing at all. Most cigar buts are usually pretty bitter by the end of your smoke and I can't imagine that would taste pleasant at all.
If you must use every bit of that tobacco, get a cigar holder or re-live your youth and bust out the roach clip :lol:

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
Thanks for the comments. I just started smoking cigars and I read on a cigar blog that "...to completely smoke a cigar use a pipe...", so that's why I'm asking. I think I agree with everyone that I want to keep the two separate. I'm a pipe smoker who will occasionally smoke cigars, not a cigar smoker who occasionally smokes a pipe.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
my friend had a Cuban that busted open on him, we proceeded to cut it up and rub it out and smoke it from a cob. it smoked really well, but thats about as far as i go.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
My great grandfather used to smoke Parodis till they burnt his fingers. Then he would stick a tooth pic through it and smoke it till it burnt his lips. Then he would put whatever was left in his pipe and finish it. Tough old Italian immigrant that came to America during the great depression. Made the most of everything. I could see taking a cigar butt that was still burning and stuffing it into a pipe to finish it. I find those last few puffs of a cigar can sometimes be their best. Letting a cigar butt go out and then trying to relight it the next day and smoke it, however, is pointless in my eyes...tastes like shit. DGT does not apply to cigars for me.

baldy

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2011
I love my Cuban cigars but will never smoke the nub. I do have a few pipes dedicated to Cuban cigar tobacco. After cutting the cigar and before lighting it, I'll do a quick draw test. If it's plugged, which happens occasionally, I'll chop/mash it up and smoke it in a pipe.
A friend of mine goes to Cuba twice a year. During his visits he always visit the Robainia farm and bring me back some wrapper leaves to smoke in my pipe.

meech

Lurker
Apr 17, 2012
I smoked cigars before I picked up a pipe. One of the main reasons I picked up a pipe was because like Ohin3 said, cigars don't keep well over night. It takes dedication to smoke a cigar, where as I've worked over one pipe load over the course of three days. My dad had told me that my grandfather would smoke a cigar about halfway, tear off the burnt end, pop the rest in his mouth and chew it.
I have tried smoking the rest of a cigar in my pipe. I cut it open and stuffed the guts in my pipe. It wasn't really all that bad, but I prefer the tobacco destined for pipes.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
You can always save the buttons that you cut off and add them to your mix to spice things up . In this hobby I find it best to experiment , you might find something that you like . 8oz Carter Hall mixed with one Padron Delicias .

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I'll admit, my first pipe was in search of something I could smoke cigar nubs in. Not so good. I then got interested in the pipe I bought (Mid 50's Kaywoodie) and the slope got slippery.
-J

crk69

Jun 30, 2012
I use meerschaum cigar holders when smoking my favorite sticks, then when down to the holder, I let them die out. I later bust them up and put them in the hedges around my house to keep the snakes out, they dont like the nicotine, and will avoid it.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
The only cigar butt that I ever kept was my first cigar, the rest all get thrown out. I wouldn't put my cigar butt into my pipe simply because it isn't as enjoyable near the end of the cigar and I have no desire to smoke ever last piece of tobacco in the cigar.

Maybe someday I will try it haha :puffy:

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
My grandpa does it all the time. Hes frugal and says "you get more miles out of them that way" hes just got some old cheap pipes from back in the 60's. Doesnt smoke pipe tobacco much anymore but im trying to convert him back.

rlunderhill

Can't Leave
Jan 10, 2012
I tried it once after seeing my old shop teacher do it. Once was all I needed. Had to say I tried it. Never to repeat it. The end wasn't that good to smoke up. Never had the desire to repeat that experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.