PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
The first smoke was real nice. It burned slow and smooth, also the bowl didn't get to hot. Which are very good qualities for me b/c i am a bit of a fast smoker but I have learned to slow it down a bit. I can only hope that this is a consistent trend.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
ghost45 said,
i am a bit of a fast smoker
I am too, especially when I find "the right tobacco at the right time," if you know what I mean. I tend to puff like a locomotive, impatiently trying to gobble it up. It takes a bit of restraint sometimes. But that churchwarden should serve you well since the smoke stream will cool down considerably as it passes thru that stem. It looks like a prudent choice, and I hope it provides many edifying smokes.

ghost45

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 16, 2010
oo forgot to ask where the hell do buy churchwarden size pipe cleaners?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
...Something just bobbed to the surface in my puddle of consciousness:

Does anyone remember pipe cleaner supplied on a spool, from which you just measured off the length needed? ...Or did I just invent something useful for the users of long clays and churchwardens? Geez, fact and fantasy seem to blur together these days! :(

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I have one churchwarden, it's a briar pipe with a 12" stem. It has a small bowl but smokes very cool. Since the small bowl size and long stem I only smoke it ocasionally when I'm in the mood just such a pipe

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Wes, can you post a picture of that churchwarden?

For some reason I imagine a guy in bib overhauls, in the back yard admiring a young tobacco plant's progress, sipping on a churchwarden. Could that be you by next June?

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I will try to get a pic up latter tonight. It very well could be me by June, I wear bib overhauls a lot. I normally smoke the churchwarden inside due to the length. I more than likely would be smoking a cob or a battered old Cary apple. But come June I will take out the churchwarden and smoke a bowl in my tobacco patch in your honor.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
ghost45 said
oo forgot to ask where the hell do buy churchwarden size pipe cleaners?

Okay, I wasn't imagining things. Standard pipe cleaner is sold in 50 ft. coils for $7.99 at Cup O' Joes. See their item #: pcs50

PipeCleanerCoils.jpg

(I also noticed that most pipe dealers list churchwarden cleaners, ~12" long, among their accessories.)

kelly

Lurker
Jan 7, 2011
pipesbydesign@gmail.com he can hand make an all wood churchwarden for about 225.00
He does not have the ability to add the brass ring detail although I have requested he recess the stem and I will add that detail

buckeye

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 16, 2010
i got this mcqueen last week. 70 bucks shipped from canada. only took 3 months to get. 8O

P1050002.jpg

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have a Savinelli churchwarden but rarely smoke it. Nice pipe but one that I would smoke while sitting outside.

Make sure you get the long pipe cleaners. Most good pipe shops carry them. I got a pack at our local B&M.

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
Interesting thread. I have been thinking about getting one although I have noticed that the majority of C.W.'s are very small bowled which I don't like. But I am still looking for one nonetheless.

southernbriar

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2012
I agree that this is a very interesting thread. I have several pipes, but none are Churchwardens. The majority of the ones I have seen have been relative to the cost of a decent pipe, $100 or less. I am kinda surprised I do not hear more talk of them. There seems to be alot less Churchwardens than regular sized pipes. I can see where they are not as convenient due to their size. I do want one though with a large Briar bowl to relax at home with. In this thread alot of people say theirs get hot. Is the reason why they get hot because the smoke is cooler? With a regular sized pipe when you hit it hard the smoke gets hotter. With the cool smoke does it delay the reaction to slow the draw a bit to prevent it heating up?

winterland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Minneapolis
There have a been a few good discussions here. Here is one.

Churchwardens
I think they smoke cooler because of the long stem. The bowls are sometimes smaller in size so might heat up more than a larger bowl. Never been a problem for me.

vdubguy18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2012
I have not picked one up yet...however...it is on my PAD list. Just waiting to find that right one and to have the funds of course.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
It is for sure on my list i just always seem to buy something else. I have heard great things, and they look pretty awesome!

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
I have 10. Here is what you need to know. It is a slow walk or sit down pipe. You cannot smoke a whole bowl with it clamped in you mouth, it becomes too heavy. They to me, smoke cooler and can change the taste of a tobacco a bit. I have experimented with this so I know it to be true. Most, of them have thinner bowls, so as not to be bowl end heavy so they do feel hotter in the hand. I like the slowed down mood I get while smoking them since it is a in your hand pipe all the time so for me they are a good night choice. They look great (opinion) and have a grace that other pipes do not.
My 2P

Status
Not open for further replies.