PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've been a fan of Chris Askwith pipes for a long time, particularly his execution of the Prince shape and his colored stems. Last week, at the NOLA show, SmokingPipes had several new Askwith pipes, but they were out of my price range. I was looking for one with a cream stem. Unbelievably a Prince with a cream stem and natural finish showed up on Ebay and the owner accepted my offer. It looks to be used sparingly so hopefully close to these original pictures from Chris. (the ebay pix were not great).

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo Al - good Karma there. I too have admired Chris's work, and in fact have his first morta, in a sort of Princey shape. But I've been after one of his standard classic Princes, and got one off another forum.
hp

les

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
He makes a mean pipe and is a heckuva guy. He brings a little punk rock to pipe design. Only thing I don't love is his buttons tend to be a little sharp edged to my taste.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This is one of his polyester stems. Do they require any care?
I have one his "Hand Finished" pipes and really like that stem construction, I'm hoping this one is similar.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
This is one of his polyester stems. Do they require any care?
I thought so. I know I've seen that pipe somewhere before. Anyway, no on the special care. It's easier to keep than vulcanite but not quite as hard as acrylic.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
Great Pipe. I keep drooling over his website, I love his use of colour.

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
Chris makes a nice prince. This one is superb and it's a pipe to envy. I don't think any special treatment is needed with the stem material. Maybe with the ivory colour you'll need to keep the inside clean so that tar staining doesn't show through. I like Askwith's polyester stems as they are very comfortable. The material doesn't hold quite the same deep shine as ebonite or acrylic but, otherwise, it combines the best of both worlds.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
After a delay in shipping from the sender, the pipe was finally delivered today. The pictures above were from Chris Askwith and the eBay pictures were pretty bad. The seller promised there was no issues with the briar and offered returns, so I took a chance after he accepted my offer. He said there was some rim darkening, which turned out to be a slight scorching. Fortunately,with the neutral stain it was easy to fix and the pipe looks terrific. I reamed/soaked it tonight, so I'll wait until tomorrow to smoke it. It's svelte 38 grams and I love the way the polyester stem feels. The tenon is nicely detailed Delrin, which Chris uses on his polyester stems.
Its hard to believe that I found the shape and color combination I wanted in an estate.
The finish combination did make it hard to photograph. I had to swap out my shiny white background for a piece of lavendar printer paper to get some contrast to the briar and stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.