PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Like I said above, this is my first ever gardening project. So it is very likely that I got suckered by what appeared to be an "easy, all-in-one" system. That said, The lamp was 45 and the Rapid Rooter thing was 25 from my local brew and grow. The guy said it was probably the closest thing they had to a 'complete intro kit'. I made the carrying tray/lamp support out of scrap in less than an hour.
I do not plan on growing hydroponically for the whole season. That would be a ridiculous waste of tiny city condo space and thousands of dollars of tents and what-not.
I started these seeds, which I was gifted by Jitterbugdude (Thanks again!), technically a couple weeks early. If they take, great! I'll move 'em into little pots when they're too big for the tray. If they don't, I'll get a second chance to start a different batch of seeds and still have enough summer to attempt transplanting.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Twasn't my recommendation. I just plant mine in regular trays with 72 cells each. For about 5 years though I grew mine in float trays like the big boys do.
Edit: I'm looking at that picture. Is that really a hydroponic set up?

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Jitter gave me the seeds, for which I am very grateful. He didn't suggest hydroponics or any other seed starting method. I arrived at hydroponics on my own out of curiosity. As I have never gardened before, I didn't have any potting soil or trays or pots or tools or miracle grow or anything to start plants in. So I was free to try anything. This seemed neat. In both the science-y and organizational senses.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can kill plants just by looking at them. However, I don't usually associate a tobacco crop with Wisconsin. It will likely grow, but the season's short. However, it surprises many that Connecticut is a big state for cigar wrapper leaf, that is also used somewhat as a pipe tobacco condiment.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Two interesting facts about tobacco I have learned in the last year:
1. You can grow tobacco anywhere you can grow tomatoes. The historical association with it being a Southern crop is because of the late season weather conditions there being best for air curing, which is not a concern if you are flue or fire curing in a container you can control with modern technology. A lot of cigarette Virginias are grown in Saskatchewan, for example.
2. Wisconsin, specifically Rock County (About 20 Miles due East of our property), has been a center of tobacco production for longer than it has been a State. There is still an STG buying and processing facility in Stoughton, and there is even a Burley Variety named for the State. It was bred to be used for cigar binder with lower grades used for filler and wrappers but was also used in cigarette and pipe tobacco blends.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
Also, I have sprouting seeds! Three days in and some of them are already opening up and sending out little fuzzy feet!
To answer an earlier question, the peet cubes are just touching a tray of standing water. I don't think it's a true hydroponic system.

A problem I had last year was dampening. I had let the soil get too moist and the stems of the seedlings just crimped and fell over. I have learned to keep a fan on them to prevent this. A fan moving the seedlings also strengthens the stems, and you will get stronger plants. Or, I did, anyways.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I've heard of the fan trick as part of the tempering process to make coddled hydroponic or greenhouse-grown plants strong enough to deal with the real world, but not until you get your first true leaves. I will definitely keep an eye on my tiny stems and the moisture level of the peet cubes.
That kind of thing is why I started extra early this year. If I need it, there's time for a second attempt. I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunity for me to screw up throughout the season, too.

I'm in no hurry myself. I just planted green peas in the beds that I use for tobacco, so I will let them run their course before transferring tobacco into those beds. And, each year I always tend to have enough time to run two crops... if I wanted. I still had burleys growing up until January.
I am going to let you have the spotlight this year. So, I won't run a separate thread for my crop this year. Plus, it would be boring to see the same type of pictures run again by me.
What varieties are you planting? I'm anxious to see what Jitter suggested.

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
img_20190220_194732517-600x449.jpg

img_20190220_202940380-600x449.jpg

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Make sure to keep this updated as the season goes on. I’m interested in trying this myself but I know my wife would never approve lol. She would badger me so much that even the plants would give up

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I bet almost all beginning gardners experience that. From UC Davis Master Gardener program:
Damping-Off Diseases - ANR Catalog - UC ANR

https://anrcatalog.ucanr.edu/pdf/8041.pdf

by F LAEMMLEN - ‎Cited by 16 - ‎Related articles

The death of seedlings after emergence or transplanting is called postemergent damping-off and is the condition most often identified as damping-off (although this symptom may also be caused by maggots). Most pathogens that cause damping-off diseases can also cause disease as the plant grows to maturity.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And I pray you don't get Fusarium wilt. Worse than damping off disease, but you're starting with fresh potting soil, no?
Fusarium Wilt: Symptoms, Treatment and Control | Planet Natural

https://www.planetnatural.com › Pest Problem Solver › Plant Diseases

Used by growers for diseases caused by pythium, fusarium, alternaria and more. Commonly found throughout the United States, Fusarium wilt is a soil-borne pathogen that attacks potato, tomato, eggplant and pepper plants. ... As the disease progresses, the younger leaves will also be affected and the plant eventually dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.