Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I believe the show is the first weekend in May next year (Saturday May 2 and Sunday May 3). Many out of towners arrive early; I'll be flying in on Thursday April 30.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
The show is financially stable because we have met our requirements with Pheasant Run this year and every year.
That's great news, Craig. As others have said, thanks for the frank and thorough overview of how the show finances work. I'm very encouraged by the expressed willingness by attendees to help by patronizing the hotel when armed with an understanding of the impact on the show.
I actually like Pheasant Run. There's a certain charm to it well-expressed by npod.
Less than 12 months to the next show. Can't wait!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
What in fact were the room rates for the show? I heard $189 per night bandied about. Is the show being offered a discount or is in fact, Pheasant Run charging a premium rate to offset the other costs? Out of curiosity, I just googled the resort and checked room rates for May 15, 16, 17 and 18. $132 per night for the first 3 nights, $139 for Saturday night. I also saw a family bi level family suite for $227 per night which has a king and 2 sofa beds. Divide by 3 and that is $73 per night. Bring an air mattress or 2 and it gets really cheap. The only function the room served for me was somewhere to sleep and take a shower, so as long as it is clean and the water is hot, it doesn't have to be fancy.
There were 4 of us from out of town in the group I attended the show with. I could easily see us booking one of these for next year. It is helpful to have the update for porshcigar. I've never seen anything before stating the importance of staying at the hotel or eating there. When I attended in 2018, I tried making reservations there 3 or 4 weeks prior to the show and they were booked. I wasn't even aware there was a dinner on Saturday night or what I needed to do to make reservations for it.
Regardless, I will reiterate that I've had a great, great time the past two years and have few complaints. None big enough to register or even begin to prevent me from attending next year. My sincere thanks is extended to the Chicago folks who invested huge amounts of their time to put this event on year after year. My applause for a job well done. And my commitment to do a better job of spending my money at the facility next year to best support the show.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've heard that the Vegas show is grappling with many of the same issues that the Chicago show is dealing with too.
True.
In Vegas it's important to not only stay at Palace Station but to book the room using the show's link. Or so I've heard.
Also correct. Using the show's code takes about 30% off the cost of a room. And the Palace Station Hotel has undergone a major renovation, so the rooms are pretty nice. They run a shuttle from the airport hourly so it's easy to get to the hotel.
Plus, you can smoke anywhere in the hotel except for the front lobby.
A show has to be run like any business and to have a show, the organizers are dealing with another business that expects to receive revenue by hosting the show. The WCPS has to hit certain marks with Palace Station. A couple of years ago they didn't sell enough seats for the dinner and paid the difference out of their own pockets to keep the show running. Last year they did OK. But attendance has been down, and I heard that it was down this year in Chicago. I can't stress highly enough how important it is to support these shows if you want them to continue. And, I have a feeling that these shows are going to become increasingly important to the pipe smoking community as conditions become more restrictive.
I have a blast in Vegas and look forward to going every year. If you haven't yet attended a pipe show, you're missing a fun opportunity.
I'm hoping to attend Chicago next year. I'll be attending the WCPS in November.

porshcigar

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Naperville
The 2020 Chicago Pipe Show will be on May 2 and 3. The pre-show will be on May 1st.
Chicago area pipe smokers can help the Show and hotel by eating at our free Friday night buffet banquet. It is free to you, the Show pays for the dinner and that helps us meet our food and beverage minimum. We have room at the banquet for 600. This year less than 475 people attended. The Saturday night banquet provides a great dinner for under $50 and it helps the Show and the hotel. Eat lunch at the two food locations in the Mega Center in the Mega Center and Tent. Buy a beer in the tent. It all helps.
And another great way to help the Show is to participate in our Silent Auction on Saturday from 11 am to 3 pm. Our great exhibitors and pipe makers donate new pipes, and all proceeds go to the Show. We have a wide range of items in the Silent Auction from high end pipes to tins of tobacco, books, and collectable items. You can also donate an estate pipe or unopened tins of tobacco to the Silent Auction. We accept donated items at the pre-show and Saturday morning. Every donation helps, every bid helps, every purchase goes to the Show. The Silent Auction accepts cash, checks and credit cards.
Everything helps the Show and local pipe smokers can help the Show by attending, buying a drink, eating free on Friday night or buying a beer in the tent. Everything helps. Thank you all for supporting the Show.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
Excellent post @porshcigar!
I just booked my room for next year after reading your comments
Same here! I enjoyed it very much, and have committed to do the 33 hour commute from Australia again in 2020. All booked!

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
It was fantastic meeting you and Jeremiah, Rob! Looking forward to next year!
Cheers, Craig. I very much enjoyed meeting you too, mate. Really enjoyed your company and having a chat! You picked up a beauty of a pipe early - what a great way to start the 2019 show! I'll try start 2020 in the same fashion, now that I've learnt the ropes!

skaukatt

Can't Leave
Greeneyes, yes, his name is Pete. The last name escapes me at the moment. He's from NYC and was selling hundreds of British pipes -- Loewe, BBB, GBD, Sasieni, Upshall, and Dunhill. I'd suggest writing Louis Carbone, President of the New York Pipe club at president@newyorkpipeclub.org. I'll bet he can put you in touch.
Indeed, that's Pete Rothenberg, or as we call him, Big Pete and he is on the forum here as sable mentioned. If you have any problem contacting him, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.