PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
For those who like to plan ahead, the show is May 5th & 6th. Actually, things will start on Wed the 2nd!
2018_poster_Chicago_pipe_show.jpg

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
The 2017 show was sold out at the end of the 2016 show. There is still tables available for 2018.
In related news, I asked for vacation for the 2018 show, the day I returned to work from the 2017 show. I hope my boss wrote that down on the calendar.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
When I started I greeted pipe shows with exultation, but I soon leaned that window shopping was not my style, as I never had much money to spend. I still don't. Were I to go to Chicago I would not do so with less than $5K-$10K in my pocket. To have within my grasp hundreds of such beautiful objects without the ability to take home 2 or 3 is not going to wash.
So I go to none of them.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
THE CHICAGO SCHOOL OF PIPE MAKING
REGISTRATION 2018
WE ARE OFFERING TWO CLASSES FOR 2018

1. The pipe finishing class for 12 students. $125

2. The pipe drilling/stem fitting class for 4 students. $175, which includes the pipe finishing class.
The pipe finishing class includes a pre-drilled block which you will finish under the guidance of our professional pipe makers LEE ERCK and ANDREW PETERSEN. JEFF GRACIK and ERNIE MARKLE will join our instruction staff, this year.
Beginners are welcome. Our faculty of professionals will make sure that you make a pipe that you will be proud to own! There will be a total of 12 students, of which 4 will also take the drilling class.
The pipe drilling/stem making class is limited to students who have completed the pipe finishing class in a previous year. This class includes a block and stem that you will drill and fit and a pre-drilled block that you will also finish.
Please note that you are not registered until payment is made.

Please complete the following form and mail to Craig Cobine, 1567 Pine Lake Drive, Naperville, IL 60564. Make your check payable to “CPCC”. You may also email your registration to Craig Cobine at porshcigar@aol.com But you still must pay to complete your registration
Pipe finishing class $125.00
Name: _________________________
Telephone: _____________________
Email: ________________________
Pipe drilling class $175.00
Name: _________________________
Telephone: _____________________
Email: ________________________
Year in which you completed finishing class: ________

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's true, a pipe show always ends up in purchases, usually more than planned. If you can't control that within reason, best not go. However, if you can budget it and have in mind what you are looking for, often you can get some excellent deals. One year I went to find a panel and found two, an unfinished Sav and then a hand-carved Jerry Perry. Another year, making my second round of the tables at the end of the day, I was admiring what was left on the late Bob Hayes' table, and he astonished me with a price on a bamboo shank straight Dublin I was admiring. Another time, smokingpipes brought a Luciano to the show to save me shipping and gave me a pipe show discount besides, about a half or a third of what the pipe would cost unsmoked today. So it is a calculated risk. Don't go broke. But if you can exercise some restraint, you can often find some good deals. Ironically, growing up in the Chicago area, I've never been to that show, but have enjoyed the TAPS show in N.C.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I took the finishing class in 2016. Now I appreciate how much work goes into these pipes.
mso489, My strategy is to have cash in pocket. When the pocket is empty, I can't buy anything else.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
If anyone needs me in exactly six months, I suggest looking for me in the smoking tent!

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
DEADLINE FOR MASTER OF PIPES NOMINATIONS EXTENDED TO DEC. 31
Pipes and tobaccos magazine is again this year pleased to join the Chicagoland Pipe Collectors Club (CPCC) and the Doctors of Pipes in sponsoring the annual Master of Pipes awards, to be presented at the CPCC cigar dinner of the Chicagoland Pipe & Tobacciana Show on May 5, 2018.
The title Master of Pipes, first conferred at the 2017 Chicago show, is an annual recognition of select pipe smokers and members of the tobacco industry who have contributed significantly to our hobby but who have not yet been active in the pipe community for 20 years or more (a requirement for the Doctor of Pipes award). The first Masters of Pipes named were David Shain and Sykes Wilford.
Qualifications for the Master of Pipes award are the same as those for the Doctor of Pipes award except the service requirement is reduced to seven years and an age cutoff is stipulated to encourage younger pipe activists, who are an increasingly important part of our community. Therefore, the Master of Pipes is open only to individuals who are 45 years old or younger as of Jan. 1 of the year of the award.
New Masters of Pipes are elected by current Doctors of Pipes. P&T magazine will serve as the front line for receiving nominations to be considered.
Readers are encouraged to submit nominations, in accordance with the following rules:
• Master of Pipes nominees must have at least seven demonstrable years in the hobby and/or the industry.

• Nominees must prove their age will be 45 years or less as of Jan. 1, 2018.

• Nominees must be engaged in activities that promote pipes/pipe tobacco and support the pipe community.

• Individuals may not nominate themselves, although cooperation in the process will be necessary by both submitters and candidates.

• As with the Doctor of Pipes award, two Masters of Pipes will be conferred. One will be in the industry category, for people working in pipes — retail, manufacturing, distribution, photography, publishing — anything that earns the nominee a living within the pipe community. The other Master of Pipes award will encompass hobbyists.

• As previously stated, recipients will be awarded at the CPCC cigar dinner during the Chicagoland Pipe & Tobacciana Show on May 5, 2018. Please note that attendance is mandatory.

• A committee chosen by P&T magazine will review nominations and submit five to the Doctors of Pipes, who will review the candidates’ qualifications and choose the winners.

• At the show, each winner will receive a framed certificate and a lapel pin indicating his or her selection as a Master of Pipes.

• A Master of Pipes is eligible for a Doctor of Pipes award in the future.
To nominate a deserving pipe smoker, please send a letter listing the nominee’s qualifications. Include his or her contact information (telephone number and email address required), birth date and the length of time the person has been active in the hobby. Send nominations to:
Pipes and tobaccos magazine

Master of Pipes

901 Jones Franklin Road, Suite 102

Raleigh, NC 27606
Or, preferably, you may send your nomination via email to wcn@pipesandtobaccosmagazine.com.
Remember to write the nomination honestly and to the full advantage of the candidate, including the person’s contributions to the hobby. This is what will primarily be used to judge acceptability, so please be thorough. Nominations that do not include contact information (both email and telephone number) for both the submitter and the candidate will be disregarded. We will research the candidates and find the best five that we can to forward to the Doctors for final selection. Nominations must be received on or before Sunday, Dec. 31, 2017. Please forward questions via email to William C. Nelson, wcn@pipesandtobaccosmagazine.com.
The award will be covered in the pages of P&T magazine, including photos of the winners. If possible, the new Masters of Pipes will be featured on the cover of the magazine (dependent, among other factors, upon the photogenic charms of the people involved).

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
The UPCA National Pipe Smoking Contest is going to happen in the Smoking Tent on Sunday May 6th at 1:00! A picture of the contest pipe is on their website. Full details have not been posted yet. I have already registered and paid!
http://unitedpipeclubs.org/content.aspx?page_id=87&club_id=90797&item_id=766937

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Winton;
Just booked my room and flight. Haven't been able to attend since 2012. Looking forward to the show.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Today, I am announcing that the Chicago Bowl will be flake tobacco with latakia! This could be a coin, regular flake, or broken flake. There will be several blends, without labels, available for tasting. Vote for the one you enjoy the most. Saturday afternoon the voting will be completed and later we will announce the winner by the popular vote.
In future years, we plan on exploring Virginia and Vaper flakes. If you have not tried a flake, do a search on YouTube for flake preparation. There are lots of ways to smoke a flake.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Could we have a contest, "Flakes smoking flakes"?? I'd sign up for sure.
But reminds me of an actual question I've re slow smoking contests. That is, the rule prohibiting tamping unless the pipe is clenched. What started that? Is there an advantage to the normal way of tamping (which for me, normal is with the pipe in one hand, tamper in the other, looking at the chamber.)

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
If I were to only be able to attend on the last day, the 6th, would it still be a big scene, or does the show dwindle down significantly by that time?

Status
Not open for further replies.