PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

punkpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2011
I know this is a perennial query, but its been raised again in my mind. It seems like for every one thats correct, theres twenty that are glycerol coated tongue biting nightmares. Its come up in my thoughts again with the purchase of a pouch of 7 seas cherry, which surprisingly manages to avoid these traps. Its less cherry candy, more cherry cordial. For those synaesthetes out there, that means a little less Phil Collins, a little more Henry Rollins. So I ask, what cherry blends do you approve of, if any?

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
CAO: Cherry Bomb, will do. Georgetown Pipe & Tobacco: Washington Cherry, very good. Borkum Riff: Cavendish Cherry, nope. Captain Black: Cherry, nope. Fader's: Cherry Berry, very very good.
This is my cherry sampling so My 2p.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I have tried Paladin Black Cherry, G&H Black Top Cherry & Middelton's Cherry.
To me:

Paladin is much sweeter then the rest. I liked it but if you rush it it bites bad and is a bit goopy.
G&H Black Top is much more of a natural cherry flavor as a Cherry Liqueur is used to flavor. It feels goopy but does not smoke like a typical aero. I like it but it is a much more subtle smoke and does not bite at all. Our own Kevin did a great review here.
I couldn't stand Middleton's. This was one of the first smokes I tried and my tastes may have changed since then, but to me it was a very medicine cherry smell and tasted nothing like cherry.
I also have an unopened tin of CAO Cherrybomb. Haven't tried it yet but it has great reviews.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
I lost my mind a couple years ago, maybe 18 months, and bought 1/2 pound of Lane's Very Cherry based a rumor that the Lanes would be unavailable. Being a dedicated "English blend" smoker this was out of character for the most part but on occasion I do like an aromatic, or at least I think I do. With 55-65% of pipe smokers preferring aromatics I thought I might try some.

Back in the mid 1960s I tried ONE bowl of Paladin's -ONE was enough. Never again. I found Middleton's Cherry Blend to be passable, smoke-worthy, for the once in three months bowl. I did try some Danish Cheery black cavendish for Finck's Cigar, nope.

The Lane's was overwhelming in the negatives aspects usually noted, but after I let the tobacco sit for a year plus some in a Mason jar (and not that well sealed) it had dried considerably and the medicine taste abated somewhat. Mixing it later with plain Golden Cavendish (50/50) from Stokkebye yielded a decent smoke. Better yet was mixing it with McClellend Grand Oriental Classic Samsun, but that was a terrible waste of GOOd tobacco on the McC side.

Then I found Caminetto Barolo and thereby tasted a real, well-made blend lightly topped with a cherry extract. Thus far, it is my favorite - high tin price notwithstanding.
There are plenty more out there to try, but I doubt I'll go further.

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
Undertow by Just For Him is a cherry vanilla blend that doesn't taste so artificial.

Jul 12, 2011
Not being a aro~smoker myself, I did try G&H Top Black Cherry...I wasn't crazy about it at first, but then I mixed some mild burley into (50/50) it and POOF...one of my favorites now :puffy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Here's a link to the Caminetto Barolo (cherry) that aristokles likes. Currently not available.

I started out with Middleton's Cherry Blend, and I liked it back then (the late 60's). Maybe I should come full circle and smoke it again. :puffy:

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I personally like McLintock Black Cherry, although it doesn't get very high marks on Tobacco Review. I found the cherry flavour just right. On the other hand, I wasn't so keen on Gawith Hoggarth & Co Black Cherry Exclusive, which surprised me as I have really enjoyed their Coffee Caramel and Caribbean Coconut.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
The only cherry I have been able to put up with was Prince Al Cherry Vanilla. Of course, as a guy who's not much on aros, I don't try very hard, either. :puffy:

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
Cherry blends are why I don't smoke aros, with the sole exception of 1792 Flake. The smell of cherry tobacco makes me gag. I know the aros are loved by many but for me it's tobacco I want, not a desert menu.
I don't understand why but the smell of cherry flavoured tobacco smoke is almost an emetic for me. Smoking it would be an emetic, for sure.
I love cherries but hate fake cherry flavourings.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Celtic Talisman, not too cherry and burns nice and cool. One of my favorite tobaccos.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I'm also a fan of the G&H Top Black Cherry. I have one other cherry blend, which is Tewksbury's Hobbit's Weed, but it is blended with vanilla, which seems to help smooth it out.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I have been going through some bouts of TAD lately and I just realized in my cellar just how much Cherry baccy I have. Trying to keep the number of open tins limited. I am down to 20 open. lol Though only 2 open cherry.
CAO Cherry Bomb - 1 50g Tin Unopened

Captain Black Cherry - 2oz Bag Unopened

MB Cherry Ambrosia - 1 100g Tin Unopened

Sutliff Private Stock St. George's Blend - 2oz Can Unopened

G&H Black Top Cherry - 4 oz Bulk (about 10 bowls worth smoked)

Paladin Black Cherry - 2oz bag (about half gone)

Status
Not open for further replies.