Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

earthbound

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
Good afternoon friends, I have a question that perhaps some of you can shed some light on. I read once upon a time that some cheaper aromatics contain things like propylene glycol as a humicant. My knowledge of chemistry would tell me that something like that would combust to form formaldehyde or acetylaldehyde... which are obviously not good things. One is used to embalm bodies, and one is the chemical that largely contributes to a hangover. Is this statement true? The only aromatics I buy are house blends from a very reputable pipe shop so I highly doubt they're putting any gunk in their leaf. I'm just curious if anyone else has heard of this/ if there are any tobaccos known to have chemical additives in them. I'd like to steer clear of those if they're out there. Thanks!
Andrew

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Propylene glycol is not to be confused with ethylene glycol, as some on the boards have done in the past. Recent scientific research, however, does indicate that breathing in anything that is on fire may not be as healthy as was once thought.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I'm not sure why you think only cheaper aromatics have added chemicals.
More expensive non-aromatics have added chemicals as well.
Capstan has glycerol, dextrin and sorbic acid.
Three Nuns has potassium sorbate.
Davidoff uses propylene glycol, sodium benzoate, and glycerol.
Orlik Golden Sliced has propylene glycol, gum arabic, and glycerol.
Peterson Irish Flake, Perfect Plug and Old Dublin all have propylene glycol.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most combustion produces benzo(a)pyrene which is another product to be avoided. I find aromatics leave my mouth stinging, and this is revived when I brush my teeth with any kind of peppermint or other "hot" flavoring. I get little or none of this with non-aromatics that have fewer added chemicals. Moderation is wise. Probably no smoking is best, but not what Forums is about.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
yaddy, let's have a summary of those three links, I am way too lazy to read them all. Are we going to embalm ourselves or not? Not that I really give a shit.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified propylene glycol as an additive that is “generally recognized as safe” for use in food...Propylene glycol is also used to create artificial smoke or fog used in fire-fighting training and in theatrical productions.
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/substances/toxsubstance.asp?toxid=240

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
earthbound: I politely question the sincerity of your post.
If you are worried about the poisons caused by ignition I'd strongly suggest staying away from the pipe, pulled pork sandwiches, camp fires, anything grilled, and such professions as fire fighter, grill chef or pit master. I would also avoid Gary, Indiana and West Virginia. Do not go to Maui during the cane burning season and keep shy of active volcanoes. You should exercise extreme caution when in any city allowing vehicles powered by internal combustion engines on its streets.

earthbound

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
I know that realistically everything can be classified as a carcinogen. I'm also not ignorant to the thousands of toxins that we're exposed to in everyday life, and that our body does an excellent job of breaking down those toxins. I don't shy away from a good char broiled hamburger, nor do I pass up the opportunity to enjoy a good bonfire. I think the information provided about the very small quantity of glycerin and propylene glycol was more or less what I was looking for. Those are not alarming amounts of additives by any means.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
You should exercise extreme caution when in any city allowing vehicles powered by internal combustion engines on its streets.
This is my biggest concern regarding health, especially diesel exhaust. These are not good things to breathe in, and unlike a pipe or cigar where one can take a break, they surround you constantly in high amounts in big cities.

drumweezer

Lurker
Mar 24, 2015
I have noticed that when I'm smoking less expensive aromatics that I don't feel quite so hot afterwards. So, I just stick with what feels good through trial and error. When I was vaping several years ago, I also experienced problems with certain eliquids. So, I switched from PG (Propylene Glycol) to VG (Vegetable Glycerin). Some of the problems seemed to diminish but not enough for me to continue vaping.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified propylene glycol as an additive that is “generally recognized as safe” for use in food...Propylene glycol is also used to create artificial smoke or fog used in fire-fighting training and in theatrical productions.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/substances/toxsubstance.asp?toxid=240

Safe for use in food, it doesn't mean smoking it is safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.