PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
Hi all,

Been a while since I have been posting here. I was active a bit over 5 years ago life has gotten in the way of my pipe hobby. I moved to Europe and worked my tail off in a job that moved me up in my profession but wrung me out personally over the last year and a half. I lost a couple of cats, my house, and some family members during that time and my dad had several heart attacks to boot. Through it all, I enjoyed the company of my remaining cat, my wife and my pipes. They made it possible to deal with the adversity without losing too much of my sanity.

Recently though, the wife and I had a chance to move up in our professions so I took it. We picked up house and moved to India. I'll tell you, that has been rough. The pollution, the heat, the noise, the heat, the lack of anything familiar around, the heat, and the aimless bureaucracy have been tough to get used to. I think I forgot to mention, the heat is nuts. I lived in Vegas for goodness sake...it was 114° F on the pavement when I moved out. This is a whole other level though. The humidity, combined with the heat, combined with the amount of concrete around makes it feel like a sauna all the time. On the good side, my coworkers are great and my boss is supportive and competent. The food is great and I've managed to lose about 10lbs of weight and am getting more fit. I have also found my way around the neighborhood and can find most of what I need day to day without too much hassle.

Cue the last few weeks. First I decide to break my hand (at least I can finally type...yay). Then my cat gets an infection and I'm in a country where I have no contacts or support system for vet help. Side note, the vets here have so far been awful with one exception. Then my computer dies. Then work blew up. Everything is coming due at once with all of the projects needing to be finished in the next week. We've had 2 days off in the last 5 weeks with so much work that next weekend is going to be solid work too. It's just another level of crazy. During this time there have been some extra "voluntary" projects sucking up most of our time. Top it off with the wife's grandfather passing away suddenly and the ensuing plane tickets, lost wages, etc. and you have a recipe for a crap time of it. All this and I can't even smoke because of this **** heat.

I know I'm whining but hopefully it'll help somebody who's having a bad day feel a bit better. Incidentally, now that I typed that thread title...it will get worse. Too late, I already typed it. Once it's out there, you can't take it back. :ROFLMAO:

[/whining]

This isn't meant to evoke anything. It's just a rant/whining session. You can all return to your regularly scheduled forum.

Aug 1, 2012
It's all good, just being a bit whiney. I'll look up in December when I'm home having Chick-Fil-A and Taco Johns along with 2 weeks off and it'll all seem more bearable.

Where are you at?
Mumbai this time. It's worse in Rajasthan (northern India) but there are some states/cities where the heat isn't too oppressive. It's worth looking into the heat at the time of year you plan to go. If you go within the next 2-4 years, hit me up and I'll give you more info about good places to go.

EDIT: Oooh, forgot about the hill stations. You can usually go to one of them and it'll be a lot cooler temps most of the time.

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Captain, condolences on your losses, both human and feline. People usually understand human loss -- though there are some strange reactions among humans I will say. But many do not voice empathy on the loss of creatures -- whether cat, dog, horse, parrot, etc. These friendships and alliances are important and reach beyond our self-centered species. Here's to all of our great creatures of the past, a kind of lineage of royals in our psyches.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Damn. Sounds like a wild ride. As others have said, keep your head down and power through. Without the tough times in life we wouldn't appreciate the good times quite as much. It'll all pay off eventually, even if it doesn't feel like it now.

I could never spend that much time in a place that hot. Even after a couple weeks in 85 degree temps in Hawaii I am always ready to go back to Alaska. The choking humidity, the constant swamp ass....ugh......I hate heat unless it's in small controllable and instantly reversible doses (sauna or hot tub, haha).

A couple weeks in december with a nice pipe or 12 sounds like a good reset button. Best of luck!

Aug 1, 2012
Captain, condolences on your losses, both human and feline. People usually understand human loss -- though there are some strange reactions among humans I will say. But many do not voice empathy on the loss of creatures -- whether cat, dog, horse, parrot, etc. These friendships and alliances are important and reach beyond our self-centered species. Here's to all of our great creatures of the past, a kind of lineage of royals in our psyches.
Thank you sir. You are correct and may we keep on making those bonds.

Without the tough times in life we wouldn't appreciate the good times quite as much.
This is truth. Looking back I'm always grateful for the tough times even though they weren't pleasant to endure.

Aug 1, 2012
Whoa! Condolences and congratulations!

You've cemented my concept that India is one country I will not be touristing in, at least in this life time. And I like hamburgers, steaks, etc, too much!
Being as my favorite meal is steak, it's been a bit rough. However, I don't mind buffalo and that's plentiful. I also just found a place that actually has one cut of beef steak...a sirloin. Now I know you all are going to say that the sirloin isn't a great cut. But it's one of my 2 favorite cuts. Not as fatty as a ribeye and more flavor than a fillet with a nice healthy chew...you can tell I grew up with the less pricey cuts...

I do like India but Mumbai is as hard of a place to live as you can get outside a war zone.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Damn - that sounds horrible. I've relocated countries a few times and the stress can be really tough. I've never had such a streak of bad juju happen all at once.

India's better once you acclimatise to the heat and can settle down a bit (depending on where you are, some places are pretty hellish tbh). Mumbai gets plenty damn hot. I've some sweltering memories of that place - but only journeying through. I lived further south in Thanjavur, Coimbatore and later Ooty for a while, up in the mountains was really quite pleasant most of the time, so hill stations are just the ticket.

Chin up and my commiserations and condolences. A good whine sometimes shares the pain out a bit.

Reactions: kurtbob and jpmcwjr

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
“The choking humidity, the constant swamp ass” 11087
Sorry to hear of your difficulties. I’d have a really hard time with the heat and....chafing. Best tidings for the future. Oh, you mention Taco Johns. Where do you hail from originally? Taco Johns is always on our shortlist of places to visit when we are in The Dakotas and WY.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I do like India but Mumbai is as hard of a place to live as you can get outside a war zone
I've never been, but when a friend of mine from Brazil (Sao Paulo!) came back from India and told all of the stories about chaos and general weirdness, I looked around me -while in Sao Paulo- and thought, fucking hell... I guess I'm not going there. That's saying a helluva lot, coming from a Brazilian (no offence).

She was also in Mumbai.

I hear the countryside is quite nice. I think you're just going to have to roll with it and completely embrace the new digs. Otherwise, you're going to go mad. Just my opinion. I'll bet it's a heck of an interesting place after a few months when you settle in and get to know the local treats.

Reactions: captainsousie

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
“The choking humidity, the constant swamp ass” View attachment 11087
Sorry to hear of your difficulties. I’d have a really hard time with the heat and....chafing. Best tidings for the future. Oh, you mention Taco Johns. Where do you hail from originally? Taco Johns is always on our shortlist of places to visit when we are in The Dakotas and WY.

Stupid swimming trunks mesh... The worst!

Reactions: kurtbob
Status
Not open for further replies.