PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just cracked a tin of this stuff dated 12/06/12 and wow has it changed in the years since I first tried this blend. When fresh it had some rough edges from the burley that have totally gone away, I still enjoyed it fresh but I am glad I put the rest away. It is sweet and full of great Virginia flavors like raisins and figs. I get no grassy or hay type flavors as those are a total turnoff to my tastes. The rum is probably there but I cannot specifically taste it.
This is one of the blends from Pease that I can smoke as it has no red virginia's in it like many of his other blends. I am very glad I cellared this one deep. If you have any of the the original release now is a good time to crack a tin. If you want something that is going to taste great down the road, grab some. I know the description says some reds, but it has to be a minuscule amount as it doesn't bother me in the least.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Yeah, Navigator is good stuff. I enjoy it, rough edges and all, fresh, but aged a couple years...

Wow! amazing great smoke.

Dec 24, 2012
Harris, I have to give you credit on this one. When I was building my cellar in 2012 you told me to cellar Navigator. I tried it at the time, and while I liked it, it didn't blow me away. So I only cellared 6lbs of the stuff at that time. Last year I tried a tin (then, with 5 years of age) and I was blown away with how fantastic it tasted. It is on my list to get a few pounds more.
I will also say that I have had the same experience with Union Square (though can't give you credit for that one). Thought it was ok when I first tried it, but with 5 years age the stuff became just stellar.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
chasing, I still get a little tingle when I smoke Solani Silver Flake which has more reds than anything else in my cellar. I can handle it for a bowl but not 2 in a row.
peck, glad you really like this one, I wasn't positive it would turn out this good. I need to thank you for the Klondike Gold. I cellared it deep because of you and I am damn glad I did since it was discontinued.

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
Recently cracked a tin from 2013 and indulged for the first time, quite tasty stuff. Sweet and creamy virginia's with a smokey spicy backdrop and some nutiness that progresses down the bowl. Seems to me that there is a decent proportion of reds in it, and I do taste rum, never interferes.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
That’s a blend I’ve always been meaning to try.
It occurred to me a couple of weeks ago that the end of McClelland, while unfortunate, opened up some room in my cellaring budget for some different blends. And that means some more fun trying new things to find something to fill the gap.

cerfer

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2017
That's good to hear. I love Sixpence, and so bought some Navigator to compare. The Kentucky overwhelmed everything--it was not enjoyable. I tried to trade the rest of the tin, but had no takers. I'll just leave it in the jar and revisit it later.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
You scared me. I thought this was going to be another “There’s mold in them thar tins” thread. I’ll have to move some of my Navigator stash into the rotation. Thanks for the heads up.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
Grabbed a tin for tomorrow. Was all puffy, let out a hiss when I opened it. Its been doing its thing for sure.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Illustrates how wrong early impressions of a blend can be, either because the blend needs a little age, or because our tastes evolve or need a little time to understand what a blend is offering. Most blends aren't "love at first puff," although that sometimes happens.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
rx, my tin had also bulged a little but it swooshed when I opened it. I admit I was a bit nervous when I cracked it as I did have issues with some 2002 Pease tins.

Status
Not open for further replies.