PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
In a couple weeks I'm heading down to Charlottesville, VA for the weekend. I'll have some time to kill on a Saturday, pretty much the whole day, while my wife is attending a class at UVA. Is there anybody here that can recommend a tobacconist in the area where I could hang out, try some blends, maybe pick up some stuff I normally don't see here in Baltimore ?

Also,is there any place that might have some hard to find OTC blends ?

tpicking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
I'm curious to see response to this. I lived in C'ville for about 10 years, but I moved away 20 years ago. I didn't know of any tobacco shops when I lived there.

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
I looked at the listing of tobacconists here on this site, and found Cville Tobacco on 4th Street. I think they have a second location as well, but that appears to be about it.

jpbass

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 13, 2011
Baltimore, MD USA
Well I made it to Cville Smoke Shop this past Saturday. The cigars are displayed much more prominently, and the pipe tobacco is relegated to sort of a backroom area that I didn't see at first. Their website, which doesn't offer a whole lot of information, says something like they carry 75 "house blends" and 150 different tins. That seems like an exaggerated claim based on what I saw.
On the plus side, they sell in bulk many high end tin tobaccos at a pretty reasonable price. The Lane and Altadis bulk aromatics are a good .50 -.80 cheaper per ounce than they are in Baltimore. The tins though seem to be $2.00-$2.50 higher per tin that what you would pay here. MM cobs that I can get for $4.75 -$5.00 were $6.99 at Cville.
The proprietor seemed friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. On the strange side, he acted like I bought an incredible amount of tobacco, when I didn't buy as much as I even expected to, and spent less than half of what I budgeted for. I bought 2 ounces of C&D Epiphany at $3.55 an ounce, an ounce of Yale Mixture for $3.55, an ounce each of Rum & Maple, and Irish Cream at $2.55 each, as well as two rubber bit covers for $1.49. My total purchase came to just over $17.00. His reaction was "that's a lotta smokin'".

backyardbriar

Lurker
Apr 26, 2012
I want to post my knowledge here, so that others searching my find it, although it is too late to help you jpbass.

I am a pipe smoker in Charlottesville and will tell you that Cville Smoke Shop downtown on 4th Street NW is the best place to sit and enjoy a pipe. I am not sure how it is stated on their website but jpbass mentions "75 house blends" and it would be correct if by "house blends" it meant "bulk tobacco". There is about 75 jars of bulk tobacco to choose from. And as far as tinned tobacco goes, they offer the full line of the Cornell & Diehl and G.L. Pease blends.

If you are looking for affordable estate pipes I restore pipes and sell them on my site BackyardBriar.com. If you know you are coming into Cville you can preorder online and use the coupon code 'personal-ship' to remove the shipping costs and request to pick it up at the smoke shop.

jpbass, I hope you had a pleasant stay!

Status
Not open for further replies.