PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabe

Lurker
Mar 9, 2015
Where is the best outlet to get some activated charcoal?

Checked Wallyworld, Menards, and Meijer??

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Knew it! :puffy: Coat the bowl with a very thin layer of syrup, pour the charcoal into the bowl and shake it. Dump the remainder and let the pipe set for a few days. That coating will be a black rock.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yeah, I was getting ready to move this to the general discussion forum, until I realized what people use activated charcoal for....
I'm slow tonight...

secateurs

Lurker
Feb 24, 2019
The lady makes soap, and some customers who say words like "detox" request soap with activated charcoal. She gets hers from a soapmaker's supply called BrambleBerry. But says you can get the capsules at WalMart or any health food/ organic / co-op type store and open em up for small quantities.

Oct 7, 2016
I use it mixed with sodium silicilate (waterglass) as an alternative to furnace cement when I think there is serious spider webbing or other signs of carbonization that has invaded the wood. I only apply this mixture to the spot in question and a minimal amount of the surrounding area. I used furnace cement for years, but it is harder for me to work with. For lesser issues, or just to assist with break in if you tend to have spider webbing, you can mix it with maple syrup, honey, grape jelly, or plain yogurt to coat a bowl with, up to and including the whole bowl.
And I do not know the difference between activated and non activated charcoal. There was a thread here that discussed charcoal as being superior to cigar ash for making pipe mud, but I don't recall if it distinguished between the two types of charcoal.

Status
Not open for further replies.